Next month’s Commonwealth Games will be Yohan Blake’s chance to build on Usain Bolt’s “legacy” and step out of the track great’s shadow, the former 100m world champion said yesterday.
Bolt retired last year with eight Olympic and 11 world championship gold medals to his name, leaving his former training partner Blake to carry the flame for Jamaica.
“Usain Bolt has left his legacy for us to carry on and that’s what we want to do,” Blake told local media after landing in Australia for the Games, which are to be held on the Gold Coast from April 4 to April 15.
“That’s what I want, to start with the Commonwealths, to take over the dominance of the sprinting world,” he said.
The 28-year-old Blake won his only individual global title in the 100m at the 2011 world championships when Bolt was disqualified in the final, but has three other gold medals as a member of the Jamaican 4x100m relay team.
He has yet to win any kind of medal at the Commonwealth Games, but Bolt, who ran the relay at his only Commonwealths appearance in Glasgow, Scotland, four years ago, joked there would be trouble if Blake did not succeed when the athletics program begins on April 8.
“Usain Bolt was at the track in Jamaica before I left,” Blake said. “He said: ‘If you don’t win there is going to be problems.’ I don’t have a Commonwealth medal. It’s very important for me to have one in my trophy case.”
Blake, who finished fourth in the 100m at the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics in Brazil, was in top form last year heading into the world championships in London and qualified third fastest for the final.
However, he was shut out of the medals by Bolt, who took bronze behind winner Justin Gatlin and Christian Coleman. Blake also failed to make the 200m final in a surprise.
The absence of Canada’s Andre De Grasse makes Blake a leading contender in both the sprints.
A sudden shortage of locks in Australian rugby union has opened the door for Matt Philip to reclaim his Wallabies jersey, but the Melbourne Rebels player says that the uncertainties wrought by the COVID-19 pandemic have left him with a difficult choice. The Australian yesterday named Philip among 16 Rebels players either set to leave the Super Rugby club or seriously considering it, underscoring the challenge Rugby Australia faces to retain talent. Linked with a move to Section Paloise Bearn Pyrenees, commonly referred to as Pau, in France’s Top 14, Philip said that he had yet to settle his playing future, and
As professional soccer returned to Denmark, fans used Zoom to be part of the action. Thousands of Danish soccer fans on Thursday logged on to the conferencing software and were transported to Ceres Park for a league match between AGF and Randers that heralded the resumption of the nation’s pandemic-affected soccer season. While the stadium itself was without fans, the faces of thousands of supporters who joined the Zoom call were shown on giant screens that ran along one side of the pitch. Families wearing club shirts and scarves cheered inside their living rooms. Some were seen clenching their fists in joy after
DRIVING AMBITION: ‘I was excited by playing at the Olympics ... Who knows what’s going to happen? Hopefully, I could have a chance to win a medal,’ Tiffany Chan said After just three tournaments this year, a chance of Olympic glory postponed and two weeks alone in quarantine, golfer Tiffany Chan could be forgiven for feeling sorry for herself. Instead, Hong Kong’s first LPGA Tour player is sporting a broad grin and taking the positives from the game’s COVID-19 shutdown, determined to establish herself in the fiercely competitive world of women’s golf. The talented 26-year-old kept herself fit physically and mentally during the lockdown, and is happy to be back on the fairways since the easing of coronavirus restrictions last month. “When I came back to Hong Kong [in March], I actually did
It is the land of the world champions, but is it really a soccer country? That is the question that some in France have been asking this week while its European neighbors work to bring the sport back after the COVID-19 shutdown. Debate has raged ever since Ligue 1 decided in late April to bring a premature end to the season with 10 rounds of matches unplayed. By contrast, two weeks have passed since the Bundesliga restarted, while Italian Minister for Sport Vincenzo Spadafora on Thursday confirmed that Serie A would return on June 20, and La Liga and the English Premier