Sun, Feb 04, 2018 - Page 11 News List

Mayweather drops hint of a possible MMA fight

AFP, LOS ANGELES

Floyd Mayweather Jr, left, and Conor McGregor face off at a weigh-in in Las Vegas on Aug. 25 last year.

Photo: AP

MMA fighter Conor McGregor switched to the boxing ring to make one of the richest professional fights in history possible and now Floyd Mayweather Jr has hinted he might return the favor.

Mayweather, who has not fought since knocking out McGregor in that boxing match last year, teased fans on Friday night by posting a picture on Twitter of himself wearing mixed martial arts gloves and standing in an UFC cage.

“Billion Dollar Man,” Mayweather said in the tweet.

Mayweather and McGregor’s cross-combat fight in August last year failed to live up to the hype in the ring as veteran Mayweather easily out-punched the inexperienced McGregor, but it did well at the box office.

The contest generated 4.3 million pay-per-view buys in North America, trailing only Mayweather’s 2015 world title boxing match with Filipino Manny Pacquiao that generated 4.6 million buys and earned US$600 million.

It is the second time this week Mayweather has teased his fans with the idea. Earlier this week he posted video on Twitter and Instagram of himself shadow boxing in a cage.

“Come at the king, you best not miss...” he said.

Mayweather’s August fight with the Irishman was supposed to be his last as it secured his perfect 50-0 record, but the American has retired several times only to negotiate “comeback” fights for bigger paydays.

This story has been viewed 1099 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top