US Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati on Friday said he would not resign and might even seek re-election despite the US’ failing to qualify for next year’s World Cup in Russia.
Just minutes after US coach Bruce Arena resigned in the wake of Tuesday’s 2-1 loss at Trinidad and Tobago, which saw the US fail to qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1986, Gulati took the blame for the humiliating failure.
“It’s a shock to the system. We fully expected to qualify,” he said. “It’s a big disappointment... I certainly take responsibility for us not getting to Russia.”
Gulati, a 58-year-old India-born American, then outlined why he thinks he remains the correct person to guide the program back from the abyss, including the US role in a combined bid with Mexico and Canada for the 2026 World Cup.
“I don’t plan to resign,” Gulati said. “We’ve got a lot of things on our agenda, including a World Cup bid that’s due in March. “I don’t plan to do that — because of everything, where the sport is now, the role I played in it and where it could go if I choose to run again.”
Gulati became the US Soccer supremo on March 11, 2006, and finished a four-year term on the FIFA executive committee earlier this year.
He has overseen a US growth in interest, but his watch also included this year’s bitter flop and numerous calls from supporters for his quick resignation.
“I can understand the frustration, sure,” Gulati said. “We’ll do everything we can to get the team and the program back on track so we can be successful. We understand how much anger and hurt there is from Tuesday night.”
New York Cosmos owner Rocco Commisso, part of a group suing the federation over anti-trust issues, renewed a call for Gulati to resign.
“Sunil Gulati’s role as a US Soccer power broker has outlasted three US presidents,” Commisso said. “The responsibility for the US men’s failure to qualify for the 2018 World Cup and the last two Olympic Games must land at Mr Gulati’s feet.”
“His public acknowledgment of shared responsibility for the national team’s disastrous failure to qualify is meaningless unless there is a personal consequence to him reflective of the seriousness of the debacle he presided over,” he said.
A new election for US Soccer president is set for February with candidate nominations due in December, allowing time for background checks.
Gulati said he would decide “in the next few weeks” about whether or not to run again but said: “I have reached out to people about endorsing me or nominating me in the last few weeks.”
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last
When two Spanish soccer players took to the controls of FIFA 20 after the COVID-19 pandemic saw their La Liga match canceled, a stadium-sized virtual audience watched online. The huge digital crowd last week is part of a spectacular boom for the digital gaming industry, as record numbers flock to online servers for distraction, entertainment and friendship with the “real world” seemingly falling apart. Real Betis Balompie striker Borja Iglesias kicked the winning goal using his own digital likeness in the 6-5 battle against Sevilla, which was broadcast on popular video game streaming platform Twitch. It took place at the same time the