Fri, Jul 01, 2016 - Page 16 News List

Jason Roy savors match-winning 162

AFP, LONDON

England’s Jason Roy, right, plays a shot against Sri Lanka at the Kia Oval in London on Wednesday.

Photo: Reuters

Jason Roy was left with a bittersweet taste after his spectacular match-winning 162 clinched a one-day series win over Sri Lanka on Thursday.

The Surrey star would have loved to have set a new individual highest ODI score by an England batsman on his home ground, The Oval, but he fell five runs short of Robin Smith’s 23-year-old record of 167, which he made against Australia at Edgbaston.

The 25-year-old, whose man of the match display helped England to a six-wicket win and an unassailable 2-0 lead with just one game left in Cardiff tomorrow, was annoyed for getting out so close to the end of the game.

He said he had little idea that he was close to overtaking Smith while at least still setting a new highest ODI score by an England batsman at The Oval.

“I didn’t know about the record and I am still proud of being second on the list,” he said. “It’s a shame and a little disappointing I could not be there at the finish of the match, but to play an innings like that and help the side win a series is still very special.”

“It was even better to do it on my home ground and in front of a packed Oval crowd cheering me and the guys on,” he said. “I’ve put in a lot of hard work and I’m now seeing the rewards of that hard graft. I’ve had low points this season, but this is certainly a very high one.”

Roy thrilled the England fans with 13 fours and three sixes before being bowled by Nuwan Pradeep. It was his second century in three ODIs.

England captain Eoin Morgan Morgan saw his side reach their revised target of 308 to beat Sri Lanka with 11 deliveries remaining in a rain-hit game.

Sri Lanka had amassed 305-5 off 42 overs, reduced from 50 by the persistent Oval drizzle, with Kusal Mendis top scoring with 77.

INDIA

Reuters, MUMBAI, India

Denied another stint as India’s head coach, Ravi Shastri has been embroiled in an ugly spat with former captain Sourav Ganguly, who was part of the panel that awarded the job to Anil Kumble last week.

The coach’s post was vacant since Shastri’s 18-month tenure as the team director ended with India’s semi-final exit at the World Twenty20 tournament on home soil earlier this year.

For the post, the Indian cricket board (BCCI) received 57 applications, which were made available to an advisory panel that included ex-captains Sachin Tendulkar and Ganguly and former batsman V.V.S. Laxman.

The panel met the final contenders, including Shastri who spoke via Skype, before Kumble, a contemporary of the ex-cricketers on the panel, landed the job, despite his lack of coaching experience.

Shastri told the Indian media that Ganguly’s absence during his interview was disrespectful and he advised the former captain to be present at important meetings.

Ganguly, one of the most successful Indian captains, said he had taken the BCCI’s approval to attend a meeting of his state cricket association, of which he is the president.

“I just feel that the comments are very personal and if Ravi Shastri feels that I am responsible for him not being the coach of India, he’s living in a fool’s world,” Ganguly told television reporters in Kolkata.

“Since he’s spoken about disrespect, and honestly I say this with anger, that he gave me a suggestion that in the future that I should be available for such meetings,” Ganguly said. “I have an advice for him also: When the coach of India is selected, and it’s one of the most important jobs in cricket, he should be in front of the committee giving his presentation and not sit in Bangkok on holiday.”

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top