The US Open was left finely poised late on Saturday when fading light forced third-round play to be called off with Ireland’s Shane Lowry leading a chasing pack all primed to pounce.
A total of 32 players out of the 67 who made the cut were unable to finish their rounds before nightfall.
They were due to head back out at 7am yesterday morning to finish up and then have a break before the final 18 holes get underway.
Photo: John David Mercer, USA Today
The clubhouse lead was held by South Africa’s Branden Grace, who had a four-under 66 for a total of one-under.
That was two shots better than world No. 1 Jason Day, who clawed his way back into contention on the back of a 66 and young American Bryson DeChambeau, who had a 70.
“I stayed patient, I took my chances when they came my way and I actually hit the ball 15 out of 18 greens. Gave myself plenty of chances. I missed a few, but I made up for a few of the long ones,” Grace said.
Day said that “physically and mentally” it could be tougher on those players who would have to get up at the crack of dawn to finish their rounds.
“I think I have given myself an opportunity of getting there,” said the Australian, who won his first major at last year’s PGA Championship.
Out on the course when the horn was sounded to end play it was the bearded Lowry who was best placed, standing at five-under and leading the field by two with four holes left to play.
“This is exactly where you want to be. I’ve been beating myself up over the last six months trying to get in this position. I’m here now. I might as well enjoy it while I’m here,” Lowry said.
Next best was American Andrew Landry, the first-round leader, who again belied his world ranking of No. 624 to stand at three-under after 13 holes.
“I think I did a really good job out there. No nerves, very comfortable,” Landry said of his afternoon’s play in what was for him elevated circumstances.
English veteran Lee Westwood, Spain’s Sergio Garcia and halfway leader Dustin Johnson were all on two-under, each with a handful of holes to play.
It was a dramatic day of rapidly fluctuating fortunes which started with Johnson ahead by one only for three others — Westwood, Landry and finally Lowry — to take the outright lead in turn.
The famed Oakmont course, soaked and softened by torrential rain during Thursday’s opening round, turned fiery and fierce under a hot sun and matching par became the order of the day.
Only six players were left in red figures by the end of the day.
The big shock early on was that four-time major winner Rory McIlroy failed to make the cut for the first time at a major in three years.
The 2011 US Open champion went out in 31 and looked poised for a charge, but he inexplicably fell apart on the back nine, a 40 giving him a 71 and at eight-over he was on his way home.
Other notable casualties of the cut were six-time runner-up Phil Mickelson, who saw his dream of clinching a career sweep of all four majors once again shattered, 2013 champion Justin Rose and an out-of-form Rickie Fowler, who ended on 11-over.
Defending champion Jordan Spieth did make it through, but, after a hot start, he went off the boil and finished at four-over, leaving him with a mountain to climb to defend his crown.
“Got off to a dream start for moving day and then just kind of boned a wedge, kind of put a bad swing on a pretty stock shot that killed momentum. I went double-bogey, bogey,” Spieth said.
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Coming from the business world, New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai (蔡崇信) did not understand why his WNBA franchise did not have a chief executive officer similar to the team’s NBA counterpart the Brooklyn Nets, which Tsai also owns. For Tsai, it was about equality, so he did something about it. The 56-year-old Taipei-born billionaire businessman and philanthropist promoted Keia Clarke to the position last week — making her the first chief executive officer in the team’s history. The WNBA veteran became the third black woman to currently be in charge of a franchise in the league, joining Los Angeles Sparks president
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
MONEY MATTERS: While COVID-19 played a major role in the decision, the CTBA also found it hard to secure sponsorship, and ticket sales would have been affected The Yonex Taipei Open badminton tournament has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a funding shortfall, the CTBA said yesterday. This was the first time that the tournament, a Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Super 300-level competition, has been canceled since it began in 1980. The Taipei Open has been held annually since 1980. The tournament was to be played at the Taipei Arena from Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, with total prize money of US$500,000. The CTBA said that it was deeply concerned about whether the Taipei Open would proceed as scheduled after the BWF announced changes