USA Soccer welcomed a court ruling on Friday that women’s national team members cannot go on strike over a pay dispute that had top players saying they would consider boycotting the Rio Olympics.
Friday’s decision from Judge Sharon Johnson Coleman in a US federal court in Chicago found that the players, represented by the Women’s National Team Players Association, remained bound by a collective bargaining agreement (CBA) that includes a no-strike clause, even though the deal had expired in 2012.
The federation had said that the terms of the agreement remained effective under a memorandum of understanding signed by both parties in 2013.
The decision comes two months before the US women are to defend their Olympic title in Rio.
“Today, Judge Coleman ruled in favor of US Soccer and affirmed that the existing CBA with the US Women’s National Team Players Association is valid through the end of 2016, including the no-strike, no lockout provision,” USA Soccer said in a statement.
“We are pleased with the court’s decision and remain committed to negotiating a new CBA to take effect at the beginning of next year,” it added.
Friday’s decision does not affect a separate federal wage discrimination complaint filed by five top players earlier this year with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, saying they are unfairly compensated compared with men’s national team players.
The complaint states that the women’s team earned US$2 million for winning the FIFA Women’s World Cup last year, while the men shared US$9 million after they were eliminated from the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
“The US men’s national team get paid more just to show up than we get paid to win major championships,” goalkeeper Hope Solo said in March.
The women players have also complained about other conditions, such as having to play on artificial turf.
In April, national team member Becky Sauerbrunn told ESPN that players had not ruled out boycotting Rio over the matter.
‘CRIMINAL ACT’: The UCI said it ‘strongly condemns’ Dylan Groenewegen’s ‘dangerous behavior,’ which left Jakobsen in critical condition and injured other cyclists Dutch cyclist Fabio Jakobsen was in a coma on Wednesday, in “serious” condition, after he was thrown into and over a barrier at 80kph in the conclusion to the opening stage of the Tour de Pologne. Footage showed 23-year-old Jakobsen, of the Deceuninck-Quick-Step, racing elbow-to-elbow with fellow Dutchman Dylan Groenewegen of Jumbo-Visma as both men frantically tussled in a tight sprint to the line in Katowice. However, Jakobsen came off worst, somersaulting over the barriers before colliding with a photographer after Groenewegen had veered suddenly to the right, squeezing his rival into the security wall. “His condition is very serious. His life is
Taiwan Steel on Sunday grabbed three points with a narrow 1-0 win against Hang Yuan FC, to move into the No. 2 spot on the Taiwan Football Premier League (TFPL) log, while Taipower FC beat NTUS 2-0 to maintain first place. Taking advantage early in the match of opposition defenders who had not yet settled down, Taiwan Steel’s attacking trio of Wu Chun-ching, Marc Fenelus from the Turks and Caicos Islands, and Benchy Astama from Haiti pushed forward with good passes. After only one minute of play, Fenelus dribbled from the right flank, feeding a short pass inside the penalty area to
STAYING COOL: Hamilton said that his ‘heart nearly stopped’ when he noticed the puncture, but he kept going to beat Alain Prost’s total of six home wins in France Lewis Hamilton said he feared he might not make it home when a last lap puncture almost derailed his charge to a record seventh British Grand Prix victory on Sunday. “I didn’t think I would make it round the last two corners,” the world champion said. The front left tire of his Mercedes had delaminated and deflated on his final lap, leaving the six-time world champion to nurse his vehicle to the finish as second-placed Max Verstappen hunted him down. “I just can’t believe it,” Hamilton said. “It was heart-stopping. I backed off and stayed chilled and was so glad it happened on
Growing concern over health standards in e-sports has prompted a new federation to pledge to address the problem, as players fall victim to conditions ranging from wrist injuries to obesity, stress and diabetes. The retirement of top Chinese player Jian Zihao, better known by his gaming handle “Uzi,” sent tremors through the booming sport, whose revenues are predicted to reach US$1.1 billion this year, according to industry analyst Newzoo. The 23-year-old, hailed as an “icon” of the League of Legends game, stepped away from e-sports in June, saying that “chronic stress, obesity, irregular diet, staying up late and other reasons” had given