The head of Kuwait’s national Olympic committee on Wednesday condemned what he called a “serious escalation” of government interference that could prevent the Gulf nation’s athletes from representing their country at the Rio de Janeiro Games.
Sheikh Talal al-Fahad al-Sabah said in a statement that the government has taken “vindictive measures” to justify the actions that led to the Kuwait Olympic Committee’s suspension.
Kuwait was suspended by the International Olympic Committee in October last year on grounds of government meddling in sports affairs and the introduction of sports legislation that violates the Olympic Charter.
The Kuwaiti government filed a US$1.3 billion suit last week against 14 board members of the national Olympic committee. Among those named was Sheikh Ahmad al-Fahad al-Sabah, the influential head of the Association of National Olympic Committees.
“This is a serious escalation of a regrettable sequence of events,” Sheikh Talal said.
On Tuesday, the government filed suit against the national federations of swimming, volleyball, basketball and soccer. The government also took action against leaders of the national boxing and weightlifting bodies.
Sheikh Talal said he regretted that “our dedicated athletes became the real victims.”
“After years of hard work our athletes are facing the prospect of not being able to compete at Rio 2016 under the national flag,” he said.
The sheikh called on the government to respect the Olympic Charter, adding that his national committee “will remain ready to find a solution to these matters at the earlier opportunity, for the benefit of all our athletes.”
The dispute has been an embarrassment for Sheikh Ahmad, who is a member of Kuwait’s royal family and also serves on FIFA’s executive committee.
Last month, Sheikh Ahmad received a suspended six-month sentence for disobeying a prosecutor’s gag order by discussing a video involving a purported plot to overthrow the government.
He said he would appeal, calling it a “personal attack” that was “symptomatic of the current relationship between Kuwait and the sports movement.”
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Taiwan Steel on Sunday grabbed three points with a narrow 1-0 win against Hang Yuan FC, to move into the No. 2 spot on the Taiwan Football Premier League (TFPL) log, while Taipower FC beat NTUS 2-0 to maintain first place. Taking advantage early in the match of opposition defenders who had not yet settled down, Taiwan Steel’s attacking trio of Wu Chun-ching, Marc Fenelus from the Turks and Caicos Islands, and Benchy Astama from Haiti pushed forward with good passes. After only one minute of play, Fenelus dribbled from the right flank, feeding a short pass inside the penalty area to
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
STAYING COOL: Hamilton said that his ‘heart nearly stopped’ when he noticed the puncture, but he kept going to beat Alain Prost’s total of six home wins in France Lewis Hamilton said he feared he might not make it home when a last lap puncture almost derailed his charge to a record seventh British Grand Prix victory on Sunday. “I didn’t think I would make it round the last two corners,” the world champion said. The front left tire of his Mercedes had delaminated and deflated on his final lap, leaving the six-time world champion to nurse his vehicle to the finish as second-placed Max Verstappen hunted him down. “I just can’t believe it,” Hamilton said. “It was heart-stopping. I backed off and stayed chilled and was so glad it happened on