The eyes of the cricket world will be on Pakistan in New Zealand today, with Mohammad Amir set to make his international comeback after serving a jail term and five-year ban for spot-fixing.
The 23-year-old is expected to be named in the starting lineup for the tour-opening Twenty20 when Pakistan will pit their hostile bowling attack against a New Zealand unit brimming with form batsmen.
Pakistan coach Waqar Younis said he expected the young quick to cope with the intense scrutiny he will come under when he starts to bowl.
“It is hard to exactly tell how the whole thing is going to come up, but my experience says that he is a smart kid, even at the age of 18 he was smart then,” Waqar said. “He knows what he is doing and he is ready for that challenge.”
Amir was banned for five years in 2010 after being found guilty of spot fixing by deliberately bowling no-balls in a Test against England at Lords.
His return to the world stage adds to a bountiful pace armory for Pakistan, which includes Anwar Ali, Aamer Yamin, Umar Gul and Wahab Riaz.
Riaz said Amir’s in-swing ability with the new ball added to a range of hostile options.
“He’s getting a chance. He’s a great fast bowler, he’s proved that in the past. It’s time for him to prove here as well. And he will prove it,” Riaz said. “With him, there’s less pressure on me as a bowler, because I’m getting his support. Umar Gul is back and is doing really well. It’s going to be a good combination for Pakistan.”
Pakistan appear to have a much stronger bowling attack than recently departed Sri Lanka, although opening batsman Ahmed Shehzad yesterday said New Zealand had to take a lot of credit for the way they batted.
“No doubt, they are playing wonderful cricket at the moment,” he said, referring to New Zealand’s 2-0 sweep in the Twenty20s against Sri Lanka, following their 3-1 domination of the one day internationals and 2-0 Test victory.
“We are all aware of the style that they are playing is awesome to see actually, but we have to match them, and the boys are very prepared and ready to put up a good show,” he said.
SWEEP THE LEG: Poirier, determined to best McGregor, after losing to him in 2014, used low calf kicks to throw ‘Notorious’ off his stand-up game, before dropping him American underdog Dustin Poirier yesterday shook up the world of mixed martial arts, beating up the legs of Irish superstar Conor McGregor before knocking him out at UFC 257 in Abu Dhabi. “I’m happy, but I’m not surprised. I put in the work,” Poirier said, after the referee stepped in after 2 minutes, 32 seconds of the second round to save McGregor from further damage, after he was dropped by a fierce combination of punches. The 32-year-old Poirier was ranked second in the flyweight division going into the fight, but still rated a heavy underdog by bookmakers to beat his fourth-ranked opponent,
World No. 1 Tai Tzu-ying yesterday eased past her Thai opponent to advance to the second round of the Toyota Thailand Open. The Taiwanese star toppled world No. 46 Supanida Katethong 21-16, 21-11 in 29 minutes at the Impact Arena in Bangkok. “I think I played OK today. I am feeling a little better than last week,” Tai said. Tomorrow, Tai faces Indonesia’s Gregoria Mariska Tunjung. The two have faced each other six times, with Tai beating the world No. 21 in all six matches. Tai on Sunday reached the final of the Yonex Thailand Open before losing decisively against Carolina Marin of Spain.
LOOKING TO REPEAT: World No. 7 Lee Yang and Wang Chi-lin advanced to the round-of-16 at the Toyota Thailand Open, after winning the Yonex Thailand Open on Sunday Taiwan’s world No. 7 duo yesterday eased past the US’ world No. 37 pairing at the Toyota Thailand Open to reach the round-of-16 in Bangkok. Lee Yang and Wang Chi-lin beat Phillip Chew and Ryan Chew 21-14, 21-11 in just 24 minutes. Lee and Wang, who won the men’s doubles title at the Yonex Thailand Open on Sunday, next face the world No. 34 pairing, Canada’s Jason Anthony Ho-Shue and Nyl Yakura. In men’s singles, Taiwan’s world No. 2 Chou Tien-chen again beat Thailand’s world No. 45 Suppanyu Avihingsanon, after edging past the Thai player in the opening round of the Yonex
Three new COVID-19 cases yesterday hit the Australian Open’s troubled buildup as a backlash grew against international tennis players flown in during a raging pandemic. Two of the new cases were players, state health officials said, taking the total infections to seven since more than 1,000 people arrived in largely COVID-19-free Australia on charter flights last week. The Victoria Department of Health and Human Services said that the two players and a third person associated with the tournament — a woman in her 20s, and two men in their 30s — had returned positive results. The year’s first Grand Slam, delayed three weeks,