A good first two sessions for England were somewhat undone just before tea on the opening day of the second Test at Newlands yesterday.
England lost openers Alastair Cook and Alex Hales, but had made use of good batting conditions to move to 167-2 in the last over before tea, but then lost No. 3 Nick Compton, which brought an early end to the session.
A one-handed catch at third slip by rangy debutant bowler Chris Morris saw Cook depart for 27 runs off Kagiso Rabada’s bowling as two of South Africa’s three changes from the first Test combined to dismiss the England captain.
Alex Hales, playing just his second Test, made 60 before being caught by South Africa captain A.B. de Villiers in the slips from the bowling of Morne Morkel.
De Villiers dove in front of first slip from second to complete the catch.
Cook and Hales put on a 55-run partnership for the opening wicket.
Rabada picked up his second with a short delivery that Compton pulled to Temba Bavuma to be dismissed for 45.
The not out batman at tea was Joe Root, who was on 23.
Cook won the toss and elected to bat on a dry wicket with a bit of teasing bounce, but looking perfect for a long spell at the crease and a high-scoring innings.
England’s top wicket taker, James Anderson, returned to the side, replacing Chris Woakes after recovering from a calf strain that kept him out of the first Test in Durban, where England beat South Africa by 241 runs on Wednesday with just a two-day turnaround before the second Test.
“It’s tough on Woakes, but you can’t afford to leave put your best bowler if he is available,” Cook said before play started yesterday.
South Africa had already confirmed on the eve of the Test that the world’s No. 1 Test bowler Dale Steyn would not be playing, as he had not recovered from a shoulder injury, and that 20-year-old Rababa would take his place.
Before play on Saturday, Kyle Abbott was added to the list of fast bowling casualties, as he had not properly recovered from a hamstring strain and was replaced by debutant Chris Morris.
Quinton de Kock returned to the role of wicketkeeper in an effort to lessen the work load of talismanic De Villiers.
De Kock replaced J.P. Duminy, who was dropped after a long run without form.
Additional reporting by staff writer
‘CRIMINAL ACT’: The UCI said it ‘strongly condemns’ Dylan Groenewegen’s ‘dangerous behavior,’ which left Jakobsen in critical condition and injured other cyclists Dutch cyclist Fabio Jakobsen was in a coma on Wednesday, in “serious” condition, after he was thrown into and over a barrier at 80kph in the conclusion to the opening stage of the Tour de Pologne. Footage showed 23-year-old Jakobsen, of the Deceuninck-Quick-Step, racing elbow-to-elbow with fellow Dutchman Dylan Groenewegen of Jumbo-Visma as both men frantically tussled in a tight sprint to the line in Katowice. However, Jakobsen came off worst, somersaulting over the barriers before colliding with a photographer after Groenewegen had veered suddenly to the right, squeezing his rival into the security wall. “His condition is very serious. His life is
Growing concern over health standards in e-sports has prompted a new federation to pledge to address the problem, as players fall victim to conditions ranging from wrist injuries to obesity, stress and diabetes. The retirement of top Chinese player Jian Zihao, better known by his gaming handle “Uzi,” sent tremors through the booming sport, whose revenues are predicted to reach US$1.1 billion this year, according to industry analyst Newzoo. The 23-year-old, hailed as an “icon” of the League of Legends game, stepped away from e-sports in June, saying that “chronic stress, obesity, irregular diet, staying up late and other reasons” had given
‘COMPLICATED’: The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament ‘a decision I never wanted to take,’ but added that he would ‘rather not travel’ Defending champion Rafael Nadal has said that he would skip the US Open because of the COVID-19 pandemic, putting on hold his bid to equal Roger Federer’s men’s record for Grand Slam titles. On Tuesday, Nadal explained his decision in a series of tweets sent in Spanish and English. “The situation is very complicated worldwide. Coronavirus cases are increasing. It looks like we still don’t have control of it,” Nadal wrote. The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament scheduled to begin on Aug. 31 in New York “a decision I never wanted to take,” but added that he would “rather not
The Braves were dealt a double blow as the Mets’ Jacob deGrom struck out 10 in six innings to help New York snap a five-game skid with a 7-2 victory on Monday, and as Atlanta top pitcher Mike Soroka went down with a torn Achilles tendon in the third inning. “There’s no sugarcoating this night,” Atlanta slugger Freddie Freeman said. “It stinks. It really does.” Soroka crumpled to the ground on a seemingly routine play, breaking toward first to cover the bag on a grounder to Freeman’s right. “When you lose, in my mind, one of the top pitching arms in this entire