New York Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr was suspended for one game by the NFL on Monday for rules infractions, including a helmet-to-helmet hit on Josh Norman, in Sunday’s loss to the Carolina Panthers.
Beckham, whose spectacular one-handed catches and runs have made him one of the league’s top receivers in just his second season, is to miss Sunday’s game in Minnesota against the Vikings.
Beckham was penalized three times for personal fouls against Norman, one of the NFL’s top cornerbacks, in Carolina’s 38-35 victory, which kept the Panthers unbeaten with a 14-0 record.
Marquee receiver Beckham and premier cornerback Norman waged a ferocious battle spiked by trash talking, grabbing, pushing, punching, kicking and a serial display of cheap shots that earned both players several penalties.
The litany of cheap shots climaxed with a shockingly dangerous helmet-to-helmet hit by Beckham, who launched himself from the blind side to strike Norman on his helmet at the end of a running play in the third quarter.
The timing of the hit could not be worse in a climate of concern over concussions in the NFL in a week in which the opening of the Hollywood film Concussion will likely reignite talk on the dangers of repetitive blows to the head.
“If you take a shot at a guy’s head, I mean, come on now,” Norman told reporters after the game. “That’s kind of going a little too far.”
Norman, a full participant in the verbal and physical jousting leading up to the spearing, said that Beckham should have been ejected for launching himself like a missile at his head.
“The guy ran 15 yards down the field — a dead-on collision,” Norman said. “He came back and was hunting; and it was malicious in every way.”
“I mean, it’s ridiculous,” he added.
Beckham deflected questions about the outrageous hit, but Giants coach Tom Coughlin said his young receiver lost his composure and that he had considered putting Beckham on the bench.
“It was a consideration. In fact, it was a strong consideration,” said Coughlan, who in the end decided he needed Beckham on the field as the Giants strained to keep pace in the NFC East race.
“I wanted him to play the game. He had to learn. He’s got to learn at some point how to deal with some things on the field,” Coughlan said.
“I want him out there to win the football game,” he added.
Uncertainty grips next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympic Games: Will there be fans or empty stadiums in 14 months? How will thousands of athletes, staff members and technical officials travel, be housed and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic? And the Tokyo Games are not the only event. China, where COVID-19 was first detected, is to hold three mega-sports events in the year after the Tokyo Olympics are set to close. The World University Games in Chengdu, China, are to open, with up to 8,000 athletes, only 10 days after the Tokyo Games close. Next come the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning on Feb. 4, 2022,
When South Korea’s domestic women’s golf tour held its premier event last week — without spectators because of the COVID-19 pandemic — no fewer than three of the world’s top 10 players took part. The country of 52 million people has a disproportionate share of the women’s world golf rankings, providing eight of the current top 20. In a demonstration of their prominence, South Korean women have won at least one major every season since 2010, with coronavirus cancellations perhaps the biggest threat to their run this year. The phenomenon, players and commentators have said, results from driven parents, intense training, a highly
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I
PANDEMIC HYGIENE: Players had their temperatures checked, carried their own equipment and towels, and tapped rackets to congratulate the match winners Alison Riske and Danielle Collins of the US and Australia’s Ajla Tomljanovic were among the winners on Friday, the opening day of a women’s tennis mini-tournament in Florida that offered professional players an opportunity to play amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The WTA women’s tennis tour canceled four more events this week and is not to resume until at least July 20. However, four women ranked in the top 60 in the world turned out for the UTR Pro Match Series event in Palm Beach, which followed a similar event for men two weeks ago. World No. 51 Collins toppled 28th-ranked compatriot Amanda Anisimova