Thu, Nov 26, 2015 - Page 18 News List

SPORTS BRIEFS

Agencies

SOCCER

HK boo probe ‘disappointing’

Hong Kong’s soccer governing body expressed “disappointment” yesterday that FIFA is investigating the booing of the Chinese national anthem at a World Cup qualifier between the territory and the mainland. Hong Kong fans jeered and turned their backs during the March of the Volunteers anthem, which the semi-autonomous territory shares with China. They also held up white signs saying “boo” in English during Tuesday last week’s sold-out match at Mong Kok Stadium, attended by about 6,000 fans. The investigation follows warnings against audible booing from world body FIFA, which fined the Hong Kong Football Association (HKFA) after fans jeered their own anthem at previous qualifiers.

SOCCER

Fixing suspect freed

A Singaporean man alleged to be the mastermind behind a global soccer match-fixing syndicate was freed by the country’s highest court yesterday after spending more than two years in detention without trial. Tan Seet Eng, also known by the nickname Dan Tan, was jailed in October 2013 after Italian prosecutors accused him of coordinating a global crime syndicate that made millions of dollars betting on rigged Italian matches and other games across the world. Tan was held under a Singaporean law that allows for indefinite detention without trial if it is in the interest of public safety, but Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon of the Singapore Court of Appeal said there was no evidence to suggest he was a safety risk.

FOOTBALL

Frank Alexander suspended

Carolina Panthers defensive end Frank Alexander was suspended by the NFL for a minimum of one year without pay on Tuesday, while free agent safety LaRon Landry was issued an indefinite ban. The Panthers announced Alexander’s ban, the third on a Carolina player this week, for his third violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy. Landry’s punishment, confirmed by the NFL’s Web site, was for his third violation of the league’s performance-enhancing drug policy.

FOOTBALL

Manning out for weeks

Peyton Manning is likely to miss at least the next two weeks with his injured left foot, the Denver Broncos announced on Tuesday. The veteran quarterback visited a foot specialist for the diagnosis and was told to wear a walking boot for at least one week. “Peyton and I had a good visit today, and we’ve got a plan in place for his recovery,” Broncos coach Gary Kubiak told the team’s Web site. “His foot will be in a cast for at least a week, but he’ll be able to be part of meetings and do some workouts with the rest of the team.”

This story has been viewed 1756 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top