Sun, Aug 16, 2015 - Page 19 News List

Barcelona eye famous fightback after 4-0 loss

AFP, MADRID

Athletic Bilbao fans celebrate their team’s first-leg Supercopa win against Barcelona, at San Mames Barria in Bilbao, Spain, on Friday.

Photo: AP

Barcelona boss Luis Enrique defiantly backed his side to pull off an incredible comeback in the second leg of the Spanish Supercopa tomorrow after being thrashed 4-0 by Athletic Bilbao on Friday.

An under-strength Barca side were torn apart by Bilbao as Mikel San Jose’s stunning opener and a second-half hat-trick from Aritz Aduriz put them on the verge of their first trophy in 31 years.

“If there is anyone who can turn this around it is Barca. We will wait till Monday and will give everything we have,” Enrique said.

The European champions lifted their fourth trophy of the year earlier in the week, but were equally as shambolic in defense as they threw away a 4-1 lead before overcoming Sevilla 5-4 in extra time.

It is the first time in 14 years that Barca have conceded four times in two consecutive games and comes as even more of a shock as it took 13 games for the Catalans to concede eight times last season.

“It worries me that we are conceding so many goals,” Enrique added. “We will analyze it and try to correct it. Football is a game of errors. Curiously, we have gone from being the team that it is hardest to score against to conceding easily.”

Having played 120 minutes in the searing heat of the Georgian capital Tblisi on Tuesday, Enrique had opted to rest a number of his star names from the start in Bilbao.

Barca also recently completed a grueling pre-season tour in the US and have a host of players returning from international duty at the Copa America.

However, Enrique refused to blame his side’s punishing schedule as an excuse for their lackluster performance.

“We came from competing barely three days ago. I made a lot of changes to the starting 11 and I accept the responsibility as always. I believe I had to protect the players. This isn’t the point of the season to burden some players with 120 minutes... I don’t think it is the moment to look for excuses. It is how it is and I accept that,” he said.

Dani Alves was one of those most at fault as he was beaten by Sabin Merino to set up Aduriz’s first and then pulled down Borja Etxeita for the penalty from which the veteran striker completed his hat-trick.

He also refused to cite fatigue as an excuse for his side’s awful defending.

“It is not normal to concede eight goals in two games, but that is the level we are at. Everything is equal and what you have done in the previous games doesn’t matter,” the Brazilian full-back said.

“We need to be at our best at the Camp Nou and try to come back. We need to compete and be better in defense. It is not the time to look for excuses like tiredness, the journeys or the pre-season. We have to improve everything,” he said.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top