Australian surf champion Mick Fanning yesterday said he was excited about resuming competitive surfing after fighting off a shark in South Africa, but admitted he was spooked by seeing a fin on his first return to the waves.
The 34-year-old made headlines around the globe when he battled a shark on live television while competing at a world tour event at Jeffreys Bay off South Africa’s Eastern Cape province in the middle of last month.
About a week later, Fanning returned to the ocean off Australia’s east coast to surf when he “saw a shadow go through a wave.”
“I was like: ‘You’re kidding me.’ And I was like: ‘Nah, nah, it’s just a bird, it’s just a bird,’” the three-times world champion said from Tahiti, where he is set to compete in the next leg of the World Surf League Tour this weekend.
However, anxious to catch one more wave, Fanning stayed out on the water, when he “saw a fin just come up and go through the wave.”
“I was just like: ‘Are you for real? What’s going on here?’” he told the tour’s organizers.
The surfer’s return to the water was being filmed by an Australian television program and he admitted he agreed to take his board out at a spot he normally did not surf.
Despite his experiences, Fanning — ranked second on the tour — said he wanted to resume competitive surfing as soon as possible after the attack.
“If you leave it for too long, then your mind starts playing tricks on you,” Fanning said. “It makes the situation worse than what it actually is, and so, yeah, I just really wanted to get back out there.”
Fanning said he was keen to put the South Africa attack behind him, telling Sydney’s Daily Telegraph from Tahiti: “I’m very excited to be back in the water competing.”
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
KEY GOAL: Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei is now free to focus on taking her fourth doubles title of the year with Barbora Strycova; they are due to face Nao Hibino and Makoto Ninomiya Taiwanese No. 1 Hsieh Su-wei on Monday returned to the court for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic shut down the WTA Tour, falling to a 6-3, 6-1 defeat to US Open quarter-finalist Elise Mertens, who made a solid transition from the hard courts in New York to the clay at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. “I’m not sure how well I adapted, to be honest,” Mertens told the WTA Web site. “I just feel like I might still be struggling a little. It was also [Hsieh’s] first match of the week, so that was a bit of an
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
‘FUN TIME’: Denver’s Nikola Jokic said that his team would not accept that anyone else is better than them and the opposition need to play much better than they do Just about everyone had LA versus LA written in for the NBA’s Western Conference finals, but the resilient Denver Nuggets have crashed the party. Behind Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokic, the Nuggets advanced to the conference finals for the first time since 2009 to face LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers. Game 1 is scheduled to be played tomorrow. This was no ordinary road. The Nuggets fell behind 3-1 in their first-round series against the Utah Jazz before bouncing back with three straight victories. Then they went down 3-1 to the Los Angeles Clippers in the second round before winning in Game 7