Mourinho signs new contract
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho on Friday signed a new four-year contract ahead of the London club starting its Premier League title defense. The 52-year-old Portuguese had two seasons remaining on the contract he signed in 2013, when he returned to the club for a second stint in charge. If Mourinho, who ended Chelsea’s five-year Premier League title drought in May, stays until 2019, it will be his longest management job. “If the club is happy, I am happy,” Mourinho said. “It is important we have this continuity and I hope we can enjoy more success in the future — for the fans, the players and the club. I said when I returned here two years ago that I have a special feeling for this club and nothing changed. It is the club closest to my heart and I am very happy to know I will be staying here for a long time.” Their season began yesterday against Swansea City, with Mourinho looking to win back-to-back titles as he achieved in 2005 and 2006.
Deal sign of trust: Pellegrini
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini believes his new contract is a sign of the trust that the club hierarchy have in him. Pellegrini signed a one-year contract extension, committing him to City until the summer of 2017. It has come after a summer of speculation about his future, with Pep Guardiola repeatedly linked with the club. “I think the contract is very important as a sign of the good trust in our work, but you know that after that, you need the results. It’s very important for me to have a good season and to have good results with the team,” Pellegrini said.
Neville to remain with team
England netball coach Tracey Neville is to remain with the team in Australia for the World Cup despite the death of her father, who passed away at a Sydney hospital after arriving to support the team, England Netball said. Neville Neville, who is also the father of former England and Manchester United players Gary and Phil, suffered a heart attack in Sydney on Tuesday. “Our immediate thoughts are with Tracey and the Neville family, and we please ask that the privacy of the family is respected at this time,” England Netball said in a statement. Neville was visibly upset ahead of her side’s opening match against Scotland on Friday, which they won 60-19. England yesterday were to face fellow medal contenders Jamaica in their second game.
Ward family sues Stewart
The family of racing driver Kevin Ward, who was struck and killed by Tony Stewart during a race last year, filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the NASCAR driver on Friday. Ward had exited his disabled car and was walking down the track when Stewart’s car struck and killed him during a low-level dirt-track race at Canandaigua Motorsports Park in New York on Aug. 9 last year. The Lanier Law Firm, in a release posted on its Web site, said it had filed the lawsuit on behalf of Ward’s parents, Kevin and Pamela, in a the fifth district of the New York state supreme court in Lowville. Stewart is the only named defendant in the suit, which says he “wrongfully caused Mr Ward’s death by acting with wanton, reckless and malicious intent and negligence.” A grand jury last year opted not to indict Stewart on criminal charges. He missed three races in the wake of the accident, including a scheduled start in the US closed-cockpit series’ top-level race at Watkins Glen in New York, where Stewart is slated to race this weekend.
Chen Jifang hits the gym for at least two hours every day and has the physique to prove it. At nearly 70, she is being held up as a shining example as China orders its vast population to get fit and lose the bulge. The grandmother from Shanghai has become a minor celebrity in in the past few months after her newfound and unlikely love for working out made national headlines. After becoming a gym regular in December 2018, Chen lost 14kg in three months, and now sports the kind of flat stomach and toned muscles that people decades younger aspire to. She
Former MLB pitcher Wang Wei-chung has signed the biggest contract with a local team in Taiwan’s professional baseball history, the Wei Chuan Dragons said yesterday. The 28-year-old left-hander signed a five-year US$2.08 million contract with the Dragons, team chairman Hsu Wen-fang told a news conference. It is the biggest contract in the CPBL’s 31-year history, surpassing a three-year, US$1.36 million deal Lin Chih-sheng signed in 2016 with the CTBC Brothers. Although the overall value of Wang’s deal set a new record, his average monthly salary of NT$990,000 (US$33,886) is lower than Lin’s pay of NT$1.2 million per month in 2017
TAIWANESE TO PLAY: Jason Jung faces Frederico Coria in the men’s singles first round today, while in the women’s singles, Hsieh Su-wei is to take on Barbara Haas Novak Djokovic is to renew his love-hate relationship with Roland Garros in the knowledge that it is himself rather than seemingly unsettled 12-time champion Rafael Nadal who could pose the greatest threat to winning a second Paris title and 18th Grand Slam crown. The only man to beat Djokovic this year is Djokovic after the Serb’s hair-trigger temper prompted a sensational disqualification from the US Open. The 33-year-old arrives in the French capital with a 31-1 record this year after his New York brain-fade was followed by a record 36th Masters title in Rome. Djokovic’s 2016 triumph at Roland Garros allowed him to
Taiwan’s Jason Jung was knocked out of the first round of the French Open in straight sets on Sunday, while Andy Murray said it was going to be “difficult” for the former world No. 1 to reach his level of old after he also fell to a lopsided defeat by fellow three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka. Jung fell to a 7-5, 7-6 (8/6), 7-6 (7/3) defeat to Argentina’s Federico Coria in 3 hours, 19 minutes at Roland Garros, despite hitting 55 winners. Jung served for both the first and second sets, then failed to convert two set points at 5-4 in