Swiss authorities are examining development grants made by FIFA around the world as part of their investigation into soccer’s global governing body and its award of World Cup hosting rights to Russia in 2018 and Qatar in 2022, a source familiar with the probe said.
In particular, investigators are looking at how the money was spent and whether there is any falsification of documents, said the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
The grants mainly go to national soccer associations and are often earmarked for new soccer pitches and related facilities, or for training programs.
The Swiss investigation is running alongside and in cooperation with a US probe that led to the criminal indictment on May 27 of nine current and former FIFA officials and five executives in sports marketing and broadcasting on bribery, money laundering and wire fraud charges.
Information technology specialists from Switzerland’s federal police agency, as well as prosecutors and financial experts, are poring over masses of evidence collected by the office of the Swiss attorney general, the source said.
The evidence includes voluminous internal records, most in digitized form, seized from the offices of FIFA president Sepp Blatter, secretary-general Jerome Valcke and finance and administrative chief Markus Kattner.
The source said “almost everything” in Valcke’s office had been seized.
Between 1999 and last year, FIFA spent US$2 billion on development grants, with much of the money going to regional federations and national soccer groups around the world. Often tiny island territories in the Pacific and the Caribbean have received more money under some programs than the biggest soccer playing nations.
This has led to allegations that Blatter had supported these minnows so that they would be more likely to support him.
Under FIFA’s system for electing the president, a territory such as the Cook Islands, with a population of just over 10,000, has the same single vote as a soccer-mad nation such as Brazil, with more than 200 million people.
Swiss Attorney General Michael Lauber announced late last month that his office was conducting an investigation into whether there was corruption in FIFA’s awarding of the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 competition to Qatar.
In particular, he is looking at whether there was money laundering and disloyal management, which under Swiss law is a criminal offense. It is based on whether a manager violates his or her duties or causes or permits damage to an entity’s assets.
Swiss investigators have multiple lines of inquiry to pursue in connection with the Qatar 2022 award. However, evidence related to the 2018 World Cup award is proving difficult to find, the source said. FIFA disclosed in November last year that the Russian computers used in the nation’s successful bid had been destroyed.
In the indictment of 14 officials and executives, US federal prosecutors highlighted an allegedly questionable US$10 million payment by FIFA, at the request of South African soccer officials, to a Caribbean soccer body in Trinidad and Tobago. South African officials are not cooperating with Swiss investigators, the source said.
Swiss authorities did not officially open their investigation into how FIFA awarded the 2018 and 2022 World Cups until March. At that point, Swiss banks were asked to comb their records and notify the authorities of potentially suspicious transactions which might be related to FIFA.
After the banks submitted reports, Swiss investigators froze some bank accounts, found that others had been emptied and secretly monitored some accounts for several weeks to see what kind of transactions were being done.
At a press conference in Bern last week, Lauber said that his office was examining 104 banking relationships, as well as 53 suspicious transactions which Swiss banks had flagged.
Chen Jifang hits the gym for at least two hours every day and has the physique to prove it. At nearly 70, she is being held up as a shining example as China orders its vast population to get fit and lose the bulge. The grandmother from Shanghai has become a minor celebrity in in the past few months after her newfound and unlikely love for working out made national headlines. After becoming a gym regular in December 2018, Chen lost 14kg in three months, and now sports the kind of flat stomach and toned muscles that people decades younger aspire to. She
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
ANOTHER SCANDAL: Searches focused on several riders, including Dayer Quintana, a source said, while the two being held were reportedly a doctor and physiotherapist French police on Monday detained two people as part of an investigation into suspected doping in the Arkea-Samsic team at this year’s Tour de France, prosecutors announced. The probe is the first significant one in several years for the repeatedly scandal-hit tour, which on Sunday wrapped up in Paris with a victory for 21-year-old Tadej Pogacar, who became the youngest winner in more than a century. Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Marseille said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out into a “small part” of France-based Arkea-Samsic, without specifying who had been placed in custody. Laurens added that the two
Former MLB pitcher Wang Wei-chung has signed the biggest contract with a local team in Taiwan’s professional baseball history, the Wei Chuan Dragons said yesterday. The 28-year-old left-hander signed a five-year US$2.08 million contract with the Dragons, team chairman Hsu Wen-fang told a news conference. It is the biggest contract in the CPBL’s 31-year history, surpassing a three-year, US$1.36 million deal Lin Chih-sheng signed in 2016 with the CTBC Brothers. Although the overall value of Wang’s deal set a new record, his average monthly salary of NT$990,000 (US$33,886) is lower than Lin’s pay of NT$1.2 million per month in 2017