Police filed charges on Thursday against the Croatian Football Federation (HNS) and two officials over a swastika that was apparently scrawled on the pitch during Croatia’s 1-1 draw with Italy in a Euro 2016 qualifier.
The charges were filed with a court in Split, on the central Adriatic coast, for negligence and lapses in the organization of the June 12 match, the state-run HINA news agency reported.
If the Split tribunal confirms the charges and if found guilty, the HNS could be fined up to 250,000 kunas (US$37,000) and the officials up to 50,000 kunas.
HINA identified the officials as HNS executive president Damir Vrbanovic and Zoran Cvrk, who is in charge of security.
The charges were brought after a criminal investigation into the incident, which occurred at the Poljud Stadium in Split.
UEFA had ordered the match to be played behind closed doors as a punishment for fan violence and racist incidents when Croatia played Norway earlier in the qualifying campaign.
However, a swastika appeared to be visible on the field at the ground, which is where Croatian top-flight side HNK Hajduk Split play, and UEFA said they would take action over “racist behavior.”
Groundsmen struggled to cover up the Nazi symbol at halftime of the qualifying Group H encounter, and the HNS later issued a public apology.
“This was an obvious act of sabotage and a criminal act. We condemn it and ask the police and judicial bodies to find the person(s) responsible for what is a shame not only for Croatian football, but the entire country,” an HNS statement said.
UEFA opened disciplinary proceedings against the HNS on Monday. The decision on whether to take any action is to be made on July 16.
Police were still searching for the perpetrators. The results of a probe conducted by a forensics center in Zagreb trying to identify the substance used to draw the swastika were not available.
In Group B games at the UEFA European Under-21 Championship played in the Czech Republic on Thursday, Sweden beat Italy 2-1, while England went down to Portugal 1-0.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday said that he had called in the “third umpire” as he announced that recreational cricket would be allowed to resume next weekend. In a radio interview earlier on Friday, Johnson angered thousands of club cricketers by saying that the amateur game was still not safe to play amid the COVID-19 pandemic because of issues surrounding communal teas and dressing rooms. “It’s the teas, it’s the changing rooms and so on and so forth. There are other factors involved that generate proximity which you might not get in a game of tennis,” he said. Johnson had already
Hong Kong media reported that police briefly detained a man in a Liverpool team jersey who shouted “long live Liverpool” during anti-government protests on Wednesday, over suspicion that he was inciting independence. In-Media reported that the man was across the street from police officers who were conducting stop-and-searches on a group of protesters, when he shouted: “Long live Liverpool.” Others reportedly cheered and joined in the chant, before officers detained him. The man told In-Media that police had accused him of inciting Hong Kong independence, which now is a punishable crime. He said that he has been a fan of the English soccer
WOLFSBURG BEATEN: Bayern striker Robert Lewandowski scored from a penalty, his 34th league goal this season, finishing as the top Bundesliga scorer for the fifth time Werder Bremen gave themselves hope of avoiding relegation from the Bundesliga by thrashing Cologne 6-1 to grab a playoff place on the last day of the season, while champions Bayern Munich routed VfL Wolfsburg before lifting the trophy on Saturday. Japan striker Yuya Osako scored twice as Bremen stole the lifeline of the relegation/promotion playoff place from Fortuna Duesseldorf, who lost 3-0 against Union Berlin and were relegated with SC Paderborn, finishing one point behind Bremen. “We put in a great performance under pressure, but we are aware that we haven’t achieved anything — in the relegation playoff, the emotions will be
Raptors guard Fred VanVleet is already in Florida with the rest of his Toronto teammates, and he knows the time to take a stand and counter the NBA plan to restart the season has passed, but his opinion on the matter has not changed. “It sucks,” VanVleet said on Monday in a videoconference of his choice to return to the court during the COVID-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter campaign. “It’s terrible timing, but that’s been 2020 for us. We all know the right thing to do is to not play, to take a stand. Morally, yes, that makes sense, but