Former England wicketkeeper Matt Prior announced yesterday that he has retired at the age of 33 due to injury.
Prior made the last of his 79 Test appearances against India at Lord’s in London 11 months ago before undergoing surgery on his Achilles tendon.
He had hoped to return to action with Sussex in this season’s County Championship, but he has failed to recover full fitness.
“Today is a very sad day for me, as I am forced to announce my retirement from the game I love,” Prior said in a statement released by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB). “I had been hoping and expecting to be fit for the start of the 2015 season. Unfortunately, this has proved impossible and I have now had to reach this decision.”
Prior made his England debut against the West Indies at Lord’s in May 2007 and marked the occasion with a maiden century.
He went on to play a key role in three Ashes triumphs and hit a further six Test centuries during a period that saw England climb to the top of the International Cricket Council rankings in 2011.
In total he scored more than 4,000 Test runs and claimed 256 dismissals, putting him second behind only Alan Knott (269) among England wicketkeepers.
“I feel honored to have played for Sussex and England as many times as I have, and shared so many great times with both teams,” Prior said.
Andrew Strauss, Prior’s captain with England and the new ECB director of cricket, paid tribute to his former teammate.
“Matt has had a wonderful career as a wicketkeeper-batsman for both Sussex and England,” Strauss said. “During a period where the Test team won three Ashes series and achieved the world No. 1 ranking, Matt’s contribution both on and off the field was immense. It is a huge shame that his career has come to an end in this way, although his athletic wicketkeeping and counterattacking batting will live long in the memories of both his teammates and England supporters.”
Prior will now be able to channel his energies into his professional cycling team, ONE Pro Cycling, which he set up earlier this year.
Chen Jifang hits the gym for at least two hours every day and has the physique to prove it. At nearly 70, she is being held up as a shining example as China orders its vast population to get fit and lose the bulge. The grandmother from Shanghai has become a minor celebrity in in the past few months after her newfound and unlikely love for working out made national headlines. After becoming a gym regular in December 2018, Chen lost 14kg in three months, and now sports the kind of flat stomach and toned muscles that people decades younger aspire to. She
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
ANOTHER SCANDAL: Searches focused on several riders, including Dayer Quintana, a source said, while the two being held were reportedly a doctor and physiotherapist French police on Monday detained two people as part of an investigation into suspected doping in the Arkea-Samsic team at this year’s Tour de France, prosecutors announced. The probe is the first significant one in several years for the repeatedly scandal-hit tour, which on Sunday wrapped up in Paris with a victory for 21-year-old Tadej Pogacar, who became the youngest winner in more than a century. Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Marseille said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out into a “small part” of France-based Arkea-Samsic, without specifying who had been placed in custody. Laurens added that the two