Even after posting the worst 72-hole total of his PGA Tour career at last week’s Memorial Tournament, Tiger Woods says he has been encouraged by the progress he has made with his revamped golf swing.
The former world No. 1 signed off with a two-over-par 74 at Muirfield Village on Sunday, a day after struggling to a career-worst 85 in the prestigious event hosted by Jack Nicklaus.
Woods has 10 days until the opening round of the US Open at Chambers Bay in Washington State, but he firmly believes that is enough time to complete his preparations for the year’s second major.
“There’s plenty of time,” Woods told reporters on Monday in a satellite teleconference from his home in Jupiter, Florida. “I needed tournament golf and it was nice to have Memorial in there and to be able to play a golf course that’s that difficult, that hard, that demanding from tee to green.”
Woods, who was speaking on media day for the PGA Tour’s Quicken Loans National, which he hosts, is still adapting to the fifth swing change of his professional career, this time with consultant Chris Como.
“I’ve had times like this in my life where I’ve gone through these periods, but you just have to fight through it,” said the 39-year-old American, who has played just five tournaments this season. “I’m committed to what I’m doing and committed to the changes. Once I start to snowball and start getting more solidified, then that’s when things start coming together.”
Woods, who finished last at the Memorial Tournament with a 14-over total of 302, said the work on his swing continued to be a progression of “baseline shifts” to build up his game.
“You just don’t go from one to 10,” said Woods, who claimed the most recent of his 14 major titles at the 2008 US Open. “We’re taking it one, two, three, four ... making baseline shifts, that’s what Chris and I were just calling it.
“I’m very proud of the fact that I stuck with my game plan ... and I was finally able to hit the shots on Sunday that we’ve been looking for,” he said. “At one point I got it to three under par and lost it coming home, but I showed signs of what we’re working on was starting to come together, and that was pretty exciting to see.”
‘CRIMINAL ACT’: The UCI said it ‘strongly condemns’ Dylan Groenewegen’s ‘dangerous behavior,’ which left Jakobsen in critical condition and injured other cyclists Dutch cyclist Fabio Jakobsen was in a coma on Wednesday, in “serious” condition, after he was thrown into and over a barrier at 80kph in the conclusion to the opening stage of the Tour de Pologne. Footage showed 23-year-old Jakobsen, of the Deceuninck-Quick-Step, racing elbow-to-elbow with fellow Dutchman Dylan Groenewegen of Jumbo-Visma as both men frantically tussled in a tight sprint to the line in Katowice. However, Jakobsen came off worst, somersaulting over the barriers before colliding with a photographer after Groenewegen had veered suddenly to the right, squeezing his rival into the security wall. “His condition is very serious. His life is
Growing concern over health standards in e-sports has prompted a new federation to pledge to address the problem, as players fall victim to conditions ranging from wrist injuries to obesity, stress and diabetes. The retirement of top Chinese player Jian Zihao, better known by his gaming handle “Uzi,” sent tremors through the booming sport, whose revenues are predicted to reach US$1.1 billion this year, according to industry analyst Newzoo. The 23-year-old, hailed as an “icon” of the League of Legends game, stepped away from e-sports in June, saying that “chronic stress, obesity, irregular diet, staying up late and other reasons” had given
‘COMPLICATED’: The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament ‘a decision I never wanted to take,’ but added that he would ‘rather not travel’ Defending champion Rafael Nadal has said that he would skip the US Open because of the COVID-19 pandemic, putting on hold his bid to equal Roger Federer’s men’s record for Grand Slam titles. On Tuesday, Nadal explained his decision in a series of tweets sent in Spanish and English. “The situation is very complicated worldwide. Coronavirus cases are increasing. It looks like we still don’t have control of it,” Nadal wrote. The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament scheduled to begin on Aug. 31 in New York “a decision I never wanted to take,” but added that he would “rather not
The Braves were dealt a double blow as the Mets’ Jacob deGrom struck out 10 in six innings to help New York snap a five-game skid with a 7-2 victory on Monday, and as Atlanta top pitcher Mike Soroka went down with a torn Achilles tendon in the third inning. “There’s no sugarcoating this night,” Atlanta slugger Freddie Freeman said. “It stinks. It really does.” Soroka crumpled to the ground on a seemingly routine play, breaking toward first to cover the bag on a grounder to Freeman’s right. “When you lose, in my mind, one of the top pitching arms in this entire