Controversial US sprinter Justin Gatlin yesterday ran into a new row when he flew home on the eve of the Beijing World Challenge meeting, claiming organizers had told him they did not want him to compete.
The American, who has served two doping bans, but is currently the world’s fastest man, said he had planned to run as the headline 100m act in today’s meeting despite slight injury concerns, but was told he was not wanted.
Gatlin, who had run the fastest 100m of his life and the quickest in the world this year at 9.74 seconds in Doha on Friday last week, told reporters as he left for the airport to fly home to Florida that he was “upset” by the lack of respect shown to him.
Nobody from the meeting organizers was available to respond to the 33-year-old Gatlin’s comments.
Gatlin, who had flown from Doha to Beijing on Saturday, said he had initially told organizers that he had suffered cramping in a tight hamstring and dehydration following the flight, and was not sure about his fitness to compete.
Yet after coming through a training session on Monday, he felt confident he would be fit to compete at a meeting where he has starred before.
“I was happy to stay. I’m fit and ready to run. I was cramping a lot after the fastest my body has ever run,” Gatlin said. “They didn’t have any respect for me so they said ‘you better leave’ and they kicked me out.”
Gatlin’s manager Renaldo Nehemiah showed reporters a text message an organizers’ representative sent to him on Monday, saying that the local organizing committee felt Gatlin should leave.
Nehemiah said organizers had made Gatlin and his team pay all their flight and hotel costs, amounting to about US$12,000.
“It’s been costly,” he said.
The sprinter, who has become a polarizing figure in the sport after his drugs bans, was clearly bewildered and angry as he left for Beijing airport with his physiotherapist.
“I thought I was competing. I ran the fastest time by anyone since 2012 in Doha and my body was a little whacked. I had respect for the organizers, telling them that I felt dehydrated, but they didn’t have any respect for me,” he added.
“It’s crazy. I have no idea what they were thinking. I think they thought I wasn’t man enough and I might pull up in the race, or not finish it and then still ask for money, but I’m not a man like that. I’m not the kind of guy to cheat people of their money or let the fans down ... that’s not what I do,” he added.
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
‘FUN TIME’: Denver’s Nikola Jokic said that his team would not accept that anyone else is better than them and the opposition need to play much better than they do Just about everyone had LA versus LA written in for the NBA’s Western Conference finals, but the resilient Denver Nuggets have crashed the party. Behind Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokic, the Nuggets advanced to the conference finals for the first time since 2009 to face LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers. Game 1 is scheduled to be played tomorrow. This was no ordinary road. The Nuggets fell behind 3-1 in their first-round series against the Utah Jazz before bouncing back with three straight victories. Then they went down 3-1 to the Los Angeles Clippers in the second round before winning in Game 7
‘GREAT COMPETITOR’: Former French Open champion Garbine Muguruza was tested by American teenager Coco Gauff, before the Spaniard advanced in three sets Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Thursday cruised into the quarter-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia by handing their Japanese opponents a rare “double bagel,” a feat matched by US Open losing finalist Victoria Azarenka in the women’s singles. Top seeds Hsieh and Strycova took just 49 minutes to see off the challenge of Japanese duo Nao Hibino and Makoto Ninomiya 6-0, 6-0 on the clay courts at the Foro Italico in Rome. The Taiwanese-Czech duo saved both break points they faced and converted six of 14, winning 62 percent of their first