British boxer Amir Khan announced on Thursday that he is set to fight former light-welterweight world titlist Chris Algieri on May 30.
Khan had come under pressure to take on British rival and IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook in June.
However, the former Olympic silver medalist, who was also linked with bouts against Adrien Broner and Keith Thurman, said he was already deep in negotiations to fight somebody else.
And on his wife’s YouTube channel, Khan announced: “The next opponent will be Chris Algieri. I will be taking that fight at 147lbs [the welterweight limit].”
The fight has yet to be rubber-stamped, but Khan added: “I’m looking forward to getting this fight announced officially by my manager and advisor Al Haymon.”
Algieri’s only defeat in his 21-fight professional career came in his last bout, against Philippine superstar Manny Pacquiao, who faces Floyd Mayweather Jr in a mega-fight on May 2.
Khan believes his American foe is a credible opponent as he wrested the WBO light-welterweight title off the much-feared Ruslan Provodnikov in June last year — albeit by highly controversial split-decision.
“You can class him as an A-class opponent,” Khan said. “He has fought decent opponents, beaten decent opponents, and just fell short against Manny Pacquiao.”
The 28-year-old hopes to fight in Algieri’s home city of New York, with Khan’s only previous outing there an 11th-round stoppage of Paulie Malignaggi at Madison Square Garden in May 2010.
This time, though, Khan wants the non-title bout at the Barclays Center as he said: “We’re looking at fighting in New York, I think New York’s a great venue for me.”
Khan has made no secret of his desire to chase lucrative showdowns against Mayweather or Pacquiao and is confident a win over Algieri can lead him to that.
“Hopefully this can lead me on to the bigger fights in the future, which is what I’m looking at,” he added.
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
Uncertainty grips next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympic Games: Will there be fans or empty stadiums in 14 months? How will thousands of athletes, staff members and technical officials travel, be housed and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic? And the Tokyo Games are not the only event. China, where COVID-19 was first detected, is to hold three mega-sports events in the year after the Tokyo Olympics are set to close. The World University Games in Chengdu, China, are to open, with up to 8,000 athletes, only 10 days after the Tokyo Games close. Next come the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning on Feb. 4, 2022,
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I
When South Korea’s domestic women’s golf tour held its premier event last week — without spectators because of the COVID-19 pandemic — no fewer than three of the world’s top 10 players took part. The country of 52 million people has a disproportionate share of the women’s world golf rankings, providing eight of the current top 20. In a demonstration of their prominence, South Korean women have won at least one major every season since 2010, with coronavirus cancellations perhaps the biggest threat to their run this year. The phenomenon, players and commentators have said, results from driven parents, intense training, a highly