Taiwan’s Lu Yen-hsun upset top seed Kevin Anderson of South Africa 7-6 (8/6), 6-3 on Wednesday night in chilly conditions in the second round of the Delray Beach Open.
The 31-year-old Taiwanese No. 1 set up a quarter-final against fifth seed Adrian Mannarino of France, a 6-2, 6-2 winner over Denis Kudla of nearby Boca Raton.
World No. 61 Lu is seeking his first ATP Tour singles title.
Fourth seed Ivo Karlovic of Croatia also advanced, outlasting 18-year-old Thanasi Kokkinakis of Australia 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-2).
Karlovic, the giant Croatian who turns 36 at the end of the month, next faces seventh seed Steve Johnson in the quarter-finals. Johnson topped 17-year-old wild-card Andrey Rublev of Russia 6-3, 6-3.
Anderson’s ouster, together with second seed John Isner’s loss to Marinko Matosevic on Tuesday night, marked the first time the top two seeds have lost before the quarter-finals since 2006. It also was the 22nd time in the tournament’s 23-year history that the top seed failed to win the tournament. Mardy Fish in 2009 was the only No. 1 to capture the title.
“That’s not the match I wanted to play,” said Anderson, who lost to Kei Nichikori in the Memphis Open final last week. “I felt sluggish in the conditions, and he stuck to his game plan and was hitting through the ball. I wasn’t putting any returns in the court.”
Lu played a consistent, no-frills style of tennis that forced Anderson to take chances. The South African, who lives and trains in Delray Beach, was ineffective in his service games as Lu bunted reflex returns back into the court.
After playing on serve through the first set, Lu took a 6-2 lead in the tiebreaker, largely on Anderson’s unforced errors. The top seed fought back to 6-6 with a forehand that skidded off the baseline, but he netted a forehand and then a backhand to hand Lu the set.
After breaking Lu’s serve in the first game of the second set, Anderson immediately lost his own serve and never recovered.
Karlovic, who could be competing on the ATP Champions Tour for senior players, used his serve to overpower Kokkinakis.
“If I didn’t come up against a guy who serves out of a tree like that, I would have had a good chance to keep going,” Kokkinakis said about Karlovic’s 21 aces, including four in a row — one on a second serve — in the 10th game of the first set.
Neither player was able to break serve, though each had chances. Karlovic double-faulted twice in the second game of the match to set up break points, but escaped with strong serves.
Kokkinakis saved two break points while serving at 2-3 in the second set.
Kokkinakis had another chance with Karlovic serving at 3-2 in the first-set tiebreaker.
After a crafty exchange near the net, the Australian attempted a lob over Karlovic’s left shoulder, but the ball fell short, allowing the Croatian to hit a high backhand-volley winner.
“Trying that lob was a pretty dumb play,” said Kokkinakis, who gained attention when he played two five-setters during the Australian Open. “That point really killed me.”
At 1-2 in the second set, with Karlovic planted at the net, Kokkinakis drilled a forehand right at his opponent, forcing Karlovic to duck as the ball landed centimeters inside the baseline.
“He can really hit those forehands, so it was really difficult for me,” said Karlovic, who is currently ranked world No. 29, down from a career high of No. 14 in 2008. “He’s unbelievable. He’s young and he will be very, very good. I was just hanging in there and serving really well.”
Fourth seed Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain and seventh seed Gael Monfils of France both won in straight sets to reach the Open 13 quarter-finals on Wednesday.
World No. 16 Bautista Agut broke Canadian Vasek Pospisil’s serve twice in a 7-5, 6-4 victory and next faces either sixth seed David Goffin of Belgium or Austria’s Dominic Thiem.
Monfils had 13 aces, saving all three break points he faced, as he beat Russia’s Andrey Kuznetsov 6-3, 6-2. He next plays either top seed Milos Raonic of Canada or Italy’s Simone Bolelli, who were due to play yesterday.
Sergiy Stakhovsky also advanced to the last eight — with 15 aces in a 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 win against Germany’s Jan-Lennard Struff — and the Ukrainian next faces either second seed Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland or Frenchman Benoit Paire.
In the remaining first-round matches, fifth seed Gilles Simon of France was leading 7-5, 2-0 against Pierre-Hugues Herbert when his fellow countryman retired with a shoulder injury.
Goffin broke Polish player Jerzy Janowicz’s serve four times in a 6-4, 6-2 win and Bolelli beat fellow countryman Luca Vanni 6-4, 7-6 (7/4).
Tiger Woods on Sunday said that while his surgically repaired back might never be 10 out of 10 again, that would not stop him from being healthy and ready to go when the PGA Tour restarts. The 44-year-old said that he has been able to use the down time during the COVID-19 pandemic to get himself in shape for an expected condensed golf season. “It is going to be interesting,” Woods said at a four-man charity golf tournament in Florida. “I am used to trying to peak for majors in April, May, June and July, forever. Now this has changed everything. It
ON THE MOON: After achieving an against-the-odds restart, Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V’landys says crowds should return to the stands by July 1 Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL) has battled player scandals, top-level resignations and dire financial revelations during the COVID-19 shutdown, but against the odds, it returns this week to bring relief to team owners and sports-starved fans. The fledgling season had seen two rounds of matches when it was suspended on March 24 and is to have a different feel when it resumes with the Brisbane Broncos hosting the Parramatta Eels behind closed doors tomorrow. An “NRL island” off the Queensland coast, where all 16 teams would be kept in isolation, had been considered, but Australia’s success in containing the coronavirus has instead
Free agent infielder Jung-ho Kang, who played four of the past five years for the Pittsburgh Pirates, on Monday received a one-year suspension from the Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) in connection with three past arrests on suspicion of drunk driving. The KBO also demanded that Kang, 33, perform 300 hours of community service. Both punishments would begin if and when he signs a contract with a Korean team. After the ruling was announced, Kang said in a statement that he is working to become a better person. “Over time, I came to realize just how important baseball is to me,” Kang said. “I took
Fallen Asian giants Liaoning Hongyun bid farewell to their fans and apologized after they were among 11 clubs disqualified from Chinese soccer because of financial problems. Chinese Super League club Tianjin Tianhai folded earlier this month and now Liaoning, a traditional powerhouse, have similarly dissolved. Liaoning, based in Shenyang, were Asian champions in 1990, and dominated Chinese soccer from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s, but in an arc that typifies the boom-and-bust nature of Chinese soccer, not helped by the COVID-19 pandemic, Liaoning have fallen on hard times and finished one place off the foot of the second division last season. The Chinese