New Zealand wrapped up a win against Sri Lanka by eight wickets yesterday to cap their most successful year in Test cricket.
Set a meager 105-run target on the fourth day of the first Test match in Christchurch, New Zealand, they took 30.4 overs to complete the victory, with Ross Taylor not out 39 and Kane Williamson on 31.
It means New Zealand have won five Tests in a calendar year for the first time after enjoying series wins at home against India (1-0) and away in the West Indies (2-1). They also drew a series with Pakistan (1-1) in the United Arab Emirates earlier this month.
New Zealand skipper Brendon McCullum said the platform for victory had been set by scoring 441 in the first innings after losing the toss and being put into bat on a green, bowler-friendly wicket.
“We desperately wanted to bowl, but we found a way with the bat to make a score that was going to be competitive,” McCullum said.
“Then, when you’ve got the seamers that we do have, who are swinging the ball in the air and getting bounce off the wicket, you’re always going to be in with a chance,” he said.
Although Williamson and Taylor steered New Zealand home, the victory was built on McCullum’s swashbuckling 195 first-innings knock, and the lethal swing and seam bowling of Trent Boult and Tim Southee.
Sri Lanka captain Angelo Mathews said the game was as good as over on the first day when McCullum cut loose.
“You can’t do much when a guy walks in and gets almost a double hundred in a couple of sessions,” Mathews said.
“It was an unbelievable innings by Brendon. It was one of the best I’ve seen. He was playing like a Twenty20. It was just going all over the park. He was just smashing it and whoever came his way went for a lot of runs,” he said.
After Sri Lanka were forced to follow on 303 runs in arrears of New Zealand’s 441, they ground out a gritty 407, but the size of the first-innings deficit meant New Zealand were never under any serious threat.
Sri Lanka resumed their second innings yesterday on 293-5 and cautiously picked off the 10 runs they needed to make New Zealand bat again, before Southee struck in a high-class spell with an aging ball that produced three wickets for 19.
Sri Lanka slumped to 325-8 and when off-spinner Mark Craig dismissed Prasanna Jayawardene (23) it became 348-9. Only lusty hitting by Shaminda Eranga and Suranga Lakmal, who added 59 for the last wicket, took New Zealand’s target past 100.
Sri Lanka nightwatchman Tharindu Kaushal was Southee’s first victim when he edged a seaming delivery to Craig at second slip.
Angelo Mathews reached 66 before he pulled at a Southee bouncer and was caught down the leg side by wicketkeeper B.J. Watling.
Southee claimed his third wicket of the session when Dhammika Prasad nicked the ball to Taylor at first slip.
Southee featured in the remaining two dismissals, catching Jayawardene (23) off Craig and Lakmal (16) off the bowling of Trent Boult, leaving Eranga undefeated on a career-high 45.
Southee finished with four for 91 and Boult, who removed the top order on Sunday, returned figures of four for 100.
New Zealand lost both openers in their brief run chase, with Tom Latham out for 17 and Hamish Rutherford for 10.
New Zealand had previously won four Tests in a year five times, most recently in 2008.
They are in an unbeatable position in the series with the second and final Test starting in Wellington on Saturday.
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I
Uncertainty grips next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympic Games: Will there be fans or empty stadiums in 14 months? How will thousands of athletes, staff members and technical officials travel, be housed and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic? And the Tokyo Games are not the only event. China, where COVID-19 was first detected, is to hold three mega-sports events in the year after the Tokyo Olympics are set to close. The World University Games in Chengdu, China, are to open, with up to 8,000 athletes, only 10 days after the Tokyo Games close. Next come the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning on Feb. 4, 2022,
When South Korea’s domestic women’s golf tour held its premier event last week — without spectators because of the COVID-19 pandemic — no fewer than three of the world’s top 10 players took part. The country of 52 million people has a disproportionate share of the women’s world golf rankings, providing eight of the current top 20. In a demonstration of their prominence, South Korean women have won at least one major every season since 2010, with coronavirus cancellations perhaps the biggest threat to their run this year. The phenomenon, players and commentators have said, results from driven parents, intense training, a highly