Wed, Dec 10, 2014 - Page 18 News List

SOCCER SHORTS

Agencies

BRAZIL

Pele due to leave hospital

Pele has recovered well from his kidney ailment and was to leave hospital yesterday, the Sao Paulo clinic that has been treating him for two weeks said on Monday. “He is doing well clinically and does not have any signs of infection. Considering his good recovery, his medical team has scheduled his leaving hospital tomorrow [Tuesday],” a statement from the Albert Einstein clinic read. The announcement came three days after the 74-year-old Pele publicly thanked well-wishers for their support in a video posted on Facebook that also featured him strumming a few tunes on his guitar. Pele was hospitalized on Nov. 24 with a suspected urinary tract infection requiring antibiotics. Three days later, the hospital placed O Rei (“the king”) in intensive care after his condition became “clinically unstable,” briefly alarming fans. Some Brazilian media reported Pele had septicemia, a blood infection, after he initially failed to respond to treatment, but the clinic stopped renal assistance three days later and then moved Pele to semi-intensive care after extensive tests as his health began steadily to improve.

LIGUE 1

Brandao to serve prison term

Brazilian player Brandao is to spend a month in jail, having not appealed against his sentence for head-butting a rival player within the allowed delay, his lawyer said on Monday. The SC Bastia player was sentenced to a month in jail and fined 20,000 euros (US$24,600) for his attack on Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Thiago Motta in the tunnel after their match in the French capital on Aug. 16. He was also banned from playing for six months for the assault, which fractured Motta’s nose. Having been sentenced on Nov. 27, Brandao had 10 days to appeal, but did not do so. He pleaded guilty, but denied it was premeditated.

SUZUKI CUP

Explain attack on fans: AFF

Southeast Asia’s soccer federation yesterday said that it has told Malaysia’s soccer federation to explain its failure to prevent a violent attack on visiting Vietnamese fans during the Suzuki Cup semi-finals. The ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) sent the written demand on Monday, asking why sufficient security measures were not put in place, AFF secretary-general Azzuddin Ahmad said. The deadline for a response is Monday next week. The step can eventually lead to sanctions. “Definitely, it is troubling. Other countries are also hosting the tournament, but there was no violence,” Azzuddin said. At least one Vietnamese fan was injured when Malaysian supporters reportedly attacked the visitors at the end of Sunday’s first leg in Kuala Lumpur, which Vietnam won 2-1. The second leg in Hanoi tomorrow will decide which team reaches the final of the Southeast Asian championship. Police have said five people were arrested and the incident prompted the Malaysian sports minister to apologize to Vietnam.

ITALY

AC Cesena appoint Di Carlo

Serie A strugglers AC Cesena have announced the appointment of Domenico di Carlo as their new coach following the firing of Pierpaolo Bisoli on Monday. “Cesena would like to announce that an agreement was reached this evening with Domenico di Carlo, who has signed a contract with the club until June 30, 2015,” a statement on the club’s Web site said. Di Carlo, whose most recent position was with Serie B side AS Livorno, has also previously coached AC Chievo Verona (twice), UC Sampdoria, Parma and Mantova. With just one win in 14 games, Cesena are second from bottom, two points ahead of Parma.

This story has been viewed 1540 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top