Fri, Dec 05, 2014 - Page 19 News List

Volvo ‘ship-wrecks’ back safe after reef-grounding drama


Volvo Ocean Race’s ship-wrecked nine-man Team Vestas Wind crew finally made it back to civilization on Wednesday, telling of their amazing escape from a collision with an Indian Ocean reef that grounded their boat.

The unshaven, exhausted, uninjured team in the global ocean race were holed up, incommunicado, for three days in the remote archipelago after their boat ran into the reef on Saturday afternoon.

Chris Nicholson, their 45-year-old skipper from New South Wales, who was contesting his fourth edition of the nine-month Volvo Ocean Race until the accident at the weekend, said he was still piecing together his emotions after the crash.

“I’m really disappointed of course — on the other hand, we have to realize how fortunate we are for everyone to be here in one piece, and to be healthy,” he said.

“It’s pretty amazing, so there’s a lot of emotions at the moment,” he said shortly after arriving at dockside in Mauritius.

“The past four days have been very challenging for all of us, and I am extremely proud of the whole crew’s professionalism, composure and endurance,” he said. “It’s clear that human error is responsible for the shipwreck; there’s no avoiding that. And as skipper, I take ultimate responsibility.”

They had smashed into the coral rock at 19 knots (35kph) in the 20m Volvo Ocean 65 boat, span 180o and crashed to a halt, grounded on the reef.

They remained on the reef until the small hours of the following morning, before abandoning the boat in pitch darkness and wading in knee deep water to a dry position on the reef, led by Nicholson.

A small boat from the local coastguard then took them early on Sunday to a small islet, Mle du Sud, which is known as a favorite with shark-watching holidaymakers.

The crew could have left the area on Tuesday, but decided to stay an extra day to pick up key equipment from their battered boat.

Danish sailor Peter Wibroe, white shirt stained yellow by sand, sweat and sea salt, was full of admiration for Nicholson.

“I must say that the team worked really well together, especially Nico, the skipper, who led the whole situation in a very professional way,” he said.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top