Australia skipper Michael Clarke will be one of the pallbearers and will lead tributes at the funeral of his close friend Phillip Hughes today, Cricket Australia announced.
As the funeral details were revealed yesterday, Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said it was too early to say which players would be mentally ready to face the hastily rescheduled Tests against India.
The opening clash between the teams was due to start tomorrow at the Gabba in Brisbane, but was put off following Hughes death last week, with many fellow players left emotionally shattered.
The funeral in Hughes’ hometown of Macksville today will be attended by the Australia Test squad, as well as past and present luminaries of the game, including Mark Taylor, Sir Richard Hadlee, Brian Lara, Virat Kohli, Ravi Shastri, Shane Warne, Mike Hussey, Ricky Ponting, Brett Lee, Adam Gilchrist and Glenn McGrath.
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott is also due to attend the service at which Clarke, who was by Hughes’ bedside as he lay stricken in a Sydney hospital, will speak in tribute, joining family members and fellow Australia batsman Aaron Finch as pallbearers.
Hughes died on Thursday last week from bleeding on the brain, two days after being knocked unconscious by a bouncer in Sydney, throwing the cricketing world into mourning.
Given the funeral today, Cricket Australia late on Monday amended the Test dates after lengthy talks with the Board of Control for Cricket in India and other stakeholders.
Instead of starting on Friday next week — as the second Adelaide Test was originally scheduled — it will now begin on Wednesday next week and be the opening match of the series.
“There is nothing perfect about what we have come up with here, but we appreciate everyone’s support and understanding in these tragic and extraordinary circumstances,” Sutherland said.
The second Test will be played in Brisbane from Dec. 17 to Dec. 21, with the traditional Boxing Day clash in Melbourne remaining unchanged, while the Sydney Test has been pushed back three days and will now start on Jan. 6.
Whether the players will be ready for the Adelaide Test match remains to be seen.
David Warner, Shane Watson, Brad Haddin and Nathan Lyon were all on the field when Hughes was hit, while captain Michael Clarke was a close friend and his emotions have been raw.
“Any player that is not comfortable or doesn’t feel right, or there is medical advice to suggest they’re not quite right, then we will obviously understand that,” Sutherland said.
Veteran bowler Ryan Harris said he was not sure whether he would take the field in Adelaide.
“I am still thinking about it — I’m not sure,” Harris told reporters of his availability, but he added that returning to cricket helped him when he lost his mother to lung cancer in 2006.
“Every individual is different. I have lost my mother before, and I was pushed to play for my father and my brother, and it probably helped,” he said.
Cricket Australia announced late yesterday that two games in the one-day international tri-series between Australia, England and India had been swapped.
The changes move forward the one-day match between Australia and England in Sydney two days to Jan. 16, while the match between Australia and India at the Melbourne Cricket Ground will be on Jan. 18 instead of two days earlier.
A two-day tour match has also been organized in Adelaide for India against a Cricket Australia XI. The game, starting tomorrow, is meant to help India prepare for the first Test.
The tragedy has deeply shaken the world cricket community, particularly in Australia where the sport is considered the national game.
Hughes died after his vertebral artery split when hit by the ball, leading to massive bleeding in his brain. It was a freak injury with only 100 cases ever reported and only one as a result of a cricket ball.
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
ANOTHER SCANDAL: Searches focused on several riders, including Dayer Quintana, a source said, while the two being held were reportedly a doctor and physiotherapist French police on Monday detained two people as part of an investigation into suspected doping in the Arkea-Samsic team at this year’s Tour de France, prosecutors announced. The probe is the first significant one in several years for the repeatedly scandal-hit tour, which on Sunday wrapped up in Paris with a victory for 21-year-old Tadej Pogacar, who became the youngest winner in more than a century. Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Marseille said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out into a “small part” of France-based Arkea-Samsic, without specifying who had been placed in custody. Laurens added that the two
Former MLB pitcher Wang Wei-chung has signed the biggest contract with a local team in Taiwan’s professional baseball history, the Wei Chuan Dragons said yesterday. The 28-year-old left-hander signed a five-year US$2.08 million contract with the Dragons, team chairman Hsu Wen-fang told a news conference. It is the biggest contract in the CPBL’s 31-year history, surpassing a three-year, US$1.36 million deal Lin Chih-sheng signed in 2016 with the CTBC Brothers. Although the overall value of Wang’s deal set a new record, his average monthly salary of NT$990,000 (US$33,886) is lower than Lin’s pay of NT$1.2 million per month in 2017