The Republic of Ireland beat the US 4-1 in an entertaining friendly at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin on Tuesday with goals from Anthony Pilkington, James McClean and two from Robbie Brady handing Martin O’Neill’s second-string side victory.
O’Neill started an entirely different side to the one that lost 1-0 in Scotland in a bruising Euro 2016 qualifier on Friday last week, but was rewarded after seven minutes when Pilkington scored his first goal for Ireland following a fine move.
Pilkington exchanged passes with impressive debutant David McGoldrick, whose wonderfully weighted pass put the Cardiff City midfielder through and his finish was just as sweet, dinking the ball over Bill Hamid.
The US, starting with four of the team who lost out to Belgium in the round-of-16 of the FIFA World Cup finals, had been on top before Pilkington’s strike and took control after with Fabian Johnson going closest to leveling after his drilled long-range shot hit the post.
It should have been 2-0 just before the half hour after some comical US defending handed Daryl Murphy a clear sight at goal and he would have joined Pilkington with a first international goal were it not for a good stop by Hamid.
It was another error, this time from Ireland’s David Meyler, that let the visitors back in the game.
The Hull City midfielder gave up possession in his own half and after a neat knock down from Chris Wondolowski, Mix Diskerud poked home the equalizer.
The US grew in confidence and were close to leading at halftime after Jozy Altidore smashed an effort against the crossbar, but Brady, playing in the unfamiliar role of leftback, put Ireland back in front shortly after the break, with McGoldrick again providing the deft assist.
Ireland had Shay Given to thank for keeping the US out with a couple of great saves, but the home side’s second-half dominance told when moments after the woodwork denied substitute Shane Long a sublime third, McClean netted with a deflection.
Hull City’s Brady completed the rout five minutes from time with the pick of the night, curling a left-footed free-kick into the top corner.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last
Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert, whose positive COVID-19 test prompted the NBA to shut down its season, says that the coronavirus has caused him to lose his sense of smell. The Frenchman, whose defensive talents have earned him the nickname “Stifle Tower,” tested positive for COVID-19 on March 11, the result bringing the NBA season to an abrupt halt. In social media posts since then, the 27-year-old had said he was feeling better, but on Sunday he tweeted that he was experiencing one of the lesser-known symptoms of the illness. “Just to give you guys an update, loss of smell and taste is