Next month, more than 500 chess players from 39 countries will arrive at the Planet Hollywood Casino in Las Vegas to compete in a tournament with the biggest prize fund in chess history — US$1 million. And despite all of the players paying at least US$1,000 each in entry fees, the tournament organizers will almost certainly lose hundreds of thousands of dollars.
However, they expected that.
The tournament, called Millionaire Chess, is intended to be the first step in a multi-year plan to organize and run tournaments with big prize funds, said Amy Lee, 43, an entrepreneur from Vancouver, Canada, who is financing the event.
Her business partner, Maurice Ashley, 48, the only African-American chess grandmaster, was the driving force behind the HB Global Challenge tournament in Minneapolis in 2005. That tournament had US$500,000 in prizes — the previous record for a chess tournament — and was financed by a retired businessman named Al Blowers, who was trying to promote his own charitable chess foundation. The tournament lost a couple hundred thousand dollars and, soon after, the foundation folded.
The partners expect to lose up to five times that — US$1 million — in the Las Vegas tournament.
“If we only lose US$200,000, we’ll be dancing in the streets,” Ashley said.
The idea behind Millionaire Chess is to raise the profile of the game.
“It has a 1,500-year history, and it has not been recognized at the level that I believe it should be,” Lee said.
Millionaire Chess will offer more than just big prizes. There will be a free show in the casino one night during the tournament, complimentary food and drinks, and limousine service for the top players. There will be video cameras and Internet links so people around the hotel and worldwide can watch many of the games.
Lee and Ashley met in 2009 at a personal development program at a resort in the Adirondacks. Part of the program was a chess class run by Ashley. Lee did not know how to play, but she watched him play blindfold chess — an exercise in which Ashley faces away from the board and calls out his moves and has the moves of his opponent told to him.
“I was fascinated,” she said.
They began talking, and every year Lee went back and their acquaintance was renewed. Last year, during one of their late-night conversations, Ashley told her how frustrated he had been about the state of chess in the US.
“When I became a grandmaster in 1999, there seemed to be nowhere to go with it,” he said.
Ashley described some of the projects and ideas he had tried and also wanted to do.
The next day, Ashley said, Lee came back with “about 50 questions on an Excel spreadsheet.”
Millionaire Chess was born.
Lee said that she saw Millionaire Chess as a three-to-five-year investment, which would include attracting sponsorships and holding tournaments in other cities.
She hopes to break even by next year.
“We are thrilled with what we have right now,” Ashley said. “I hope this will catapult chess to the next level,” he said.
Lee said that Millionaire Chess “may be crazy to a lot of people, but someone has to be the forward-thinking person.”
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
DISSENT: The US track and field body joined sports officials in Norway and Brazil, as well as Indian athletes, in calling on the IOC to postpone the Tokyo Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 organizers have started drafting possible alternatives to holding the Olympics this summer, two sources familiar with the talks said, in contrast to the Japanese government’s stance that postponement is not an option. While the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted sports events around the world, Japan has been steadfast in saying that the Games would go on. A Japanese government spokesman on Wednesday said that Tokyo was not preparing for postponement. “Finally, we have been asked to make a simulation in case of a postponement,” said one of the sources, an official close to the organizing committee who is involved in drafting the
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last