Greek champions Olympiakos defeated Italy’s AC Milan 3-0 on Thursday in a friendly match that launched the International Champions Cup.
The result, with goals from Alejandro Dominguez, Dimitri Diamantakos and Andreas Bouchalakis, marked Milan coach Filippo Inzaghi’s first defeat in three friendlies since he took charge of the San Siro club.
He was without superstar Mario Balotelli, who was not in the squad, even though he trained with the team in Toronto and earlier in the day tweeted his thanks that Major League Soccer club Toronto — whose BMO Stadium hosted the match — had presented him with a jersey.
Photo: John E. Sokolowski-USA Today
His absence sparked chants of “We want Balo” from his fans among the crowd of 10,603 — a significantly smaller turnout than the 22,000 who watched Toronto fall 3-2 to Tottenham Hotspur in a friendly on Wednesday.
Milan’s other star striker, Stephan El Shaarawy, looked sharp, even though his attempt to open the scoring flew straight to Olympiakos goalkeeper Roberto Jimenez Gago.
It was Argentine Dominguez who put Olympiakos ahead in the 16th minute, smartly controlling a ball from Mathieu Dossevi with his chest and firing home a right-footed shot that saw the Greek champions take a 1-0 lead into halftime.
Diamantakos made it 2-0 in the 49th minute and Bouchalakis capped the scoring in the 78th with a superb blast from outside the penalty area into the top-left corner of the net.
Milan next travel to Pittsburgh for a week-long training camp, where they will take on Manchester City at Heinz Field tomorrow afternoon. Olympiakos head west to take on Liverpool at Chicago’s Soldier Field on the same day.
The match is part of the International Champions Cup, a collection of pre-season matches featuring eight European clubs all preparing for the start of their domestic campaigns.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
DISSENT: The US track and field body joined sports officials in Norway and Brazil, as well as Indian athletes, in calling on the IOC to postpone the Tokyo Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 organizers have started drafting possible alternatives to holding the Olympics this summer, two sources familiar with the talks said, in contrast to the Japanese government’s stance that postponement is not an option. While the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted sports events around the world, Japan has been steadfast in saying that the Games would go on. A Japanese government spokesman on Wednesday said that Tokyo was not preparing for postponement. “Finally, we have been asked to make a simulation in case of a postponement,” said one of the sources, an official close to the organizing committee who is involved in drafting the
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also