Slovakian Peter Sagan produced a late burst of power to claim victory in the third stage of the Tirreno-Adriatico on Friday, with Michal Kwiatkowski taking the overall lead from Mark Cavendish.
Sagan, of the Cannondale team, finished several bike lengths ahead of Kwiatkowski and Australian Simon Clarke on a slightly uphill finish in Arezzo after 210km of racing from Cascina.
Pole Kwiatkowski, of Omega-Pharma, now leads Colombian teammate Rigoberto Uran in the overall standings by 10 seconds with Orica-GreenEdge rider Clarke third at 13 seconds.
Sagan is not confident, though, of remaining in the lead.
“I knew there wouldn’t be many chances for me [to win a stage] in this Tirreno-Adriatico. Today’s stage was not suited for many riders in the peloton, maybe five or six, including me,” he said.
“I’m happy I’ve hit the target. Now the first important part of my season, the Classics’ season, starting from Milano-Sanremo, is arriving. Performances like this give a big boost of confidence,” he added.
Belgian classics specialist Philippe Gilbert (BMC) had been in contention for the stage win, but failed to follow Sagan’s final acceleration and eventually finished fourth.
A five-man breakaway escaped earlier in the stage, but Europcar’s Bjorn Thurau attacked solo on the second lap of the finishing 11km-long circuit and went on to build a lead of 1 minute on his chasers.
Thurau fought valiantly, but the advance of the chasing peloton prompted him to sit up early in the final lap, when a mix of climbers and overall riders congregated for the finale.
Germany’s world time trial champion Tony Martin, of Omega-Pharma, then whittled the field down with a turn of pace inside the final kilometer.
It left an eight-man lead group climbing their way to the finish, and after Gilbert tried to escape solo with 400m to go, Sagan countered to take the win.
“The end was really a mess. From the last 10km everyone wanted to be at the front,” Sagan said.
“When Gilbert attacked I wasn’t worried, I thought he went a bit too soon,” he added.
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
Uncertainty grips next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympic Games: Will there be fans or empty stadiums in 14 months? How will thousands of athletes, staff members and technical officials travel, be housed and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic? And the Tokyo Games are not the only event. China, where COVID-19 was first detected, is to hold three mega-sports events in the year after the Tokyo Olympics are set to close. The World University Games in Chengdu, China, are to open, with up to 8,000 athletes, only 10 days after the Tokyo Games close. Next come the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning on Feb. 4, 2022,
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I
When South Korea’s domestic women’s golf tour held its premier event last week — without spectators because of the COVID-19 pandemic — no fewer than three of the world’s top 10 players took part. The country of 52 million people has a disproportionate share of the women’s world golf rankings, providing eight of the current top 20. In a demonstration of their prominence, South Korean women have won at least one major every season since 2010, with coronavirus cancellations perhaps the biggest threat to their run this year. The phenomenon, players and commentators have said, results from driven parents, intense training, a highly