New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum praised left-arm pace bowler Neil Wagner for helping his side beat India by 40 runs in the first Test yesterday even though he who was named man of the match for his first-innings double-century.
McCullum scored 224 in the first innings to anchor New Zealand’s 501, which proved to be just enough when India’s captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni threatened to snatch a win with an aggressive approach after tea on the fourth day.
“Definitely nervous times, right the way through that run chase,” McCullum said in a televised interview after India had been bowled out 366 while chasing 407 for victory. “They acquitted themselves immensely well in that second innings and put us under an immense amount of pressure.”
Wagner took four wickets at crucial times yesterday as the hosts dismissed India after tea on the fourth day at Eden Park.
“He hasn’t had a lot of luck in the last 12 or 18 months in terms of getting wickets, but I think he thoroughly deserved those wickets today,” McCullum said. “He probably turned the game... I think [his] performance typified everything that was going well for the side and I was delighted that he got some rewards.”
India looked to be in control for much of the match as Virat Kohli and Shikhar Dhawan crafted a 126-run partnership that left them well-placed after lunch to seal the victory in the final session.
However, Wagner then dismissed Kohli for 67 and got Dhawan to nick behind to wicketkeeper BJ Watling for 115 before New Zealand took the second new ball just before tea and grabbed a wicket either side of the break to give them the upper hand.
“We lost wickets at crucial times,” Dhoni said of his team’s run chase.
While McCullum praised Wagner, his double century set up their ability to attack the Indians when they batted, bowling the visitors out for 202, but he chose not to enforce the follow on, which caused debate among pundits and fans.
He said the decision was made with input from the bowlers and senior players, and one he knew many would second-guess.
“Everyone has their own opinions and at the end of the day you have to make a decision. You live and die by those decisions and thankfully we’re living at the moment,” McCullum added.
Chen Jifang hits the gym for at least two hours every day and has the physique to prove it. At nearly 70, she is being held up as a shining example as China orders its vast population to get fit and lose the bulge. The grandmother from Shanghai has become a minor celebrity in in the past few months after her newfound and unlikely love for working out made national headlines. After becoming a gym regular in December 2018, Chen lost 14kg in three months, and now sports the kind of flat stomach and toned muscles that people decades younger aspire to. She
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
ANOTHER SCANDAL: Searches focused on several riders, including Dayer Quintana, a source said, while the two being held were reportedly a doctor and physiotherapist French police on Monday detained two people as part of an investigation into suspected doping in the Arkea-Samsic team at this year’s Tour de France, prosecutors announced. The probe is the first significant one in several years for the repeatedly scandal-hit tour, which on Sunday wrapped up in Paris with a victory for 21-year-old Tadej Pogacar, who became the youngest winner in more than a century. Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Marseille said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out into a “small part” of France-based Arkea-Samsic, without specifying who had been placed in custody. Laurens added that the two
Former MLB pitcher Wang Wei-chung has signed the biggest contract with a local team in Taiwan’s professional baseball history, the Wei Chuan Dragons said yesterday. The 28-year-old left-hander signed a five-year US$2.08 million contract with the Dragons, team chairman Hsu Wen-fang told a news conference. It is the biggest contract in the CPBL’s 31-year history, surpassing a three-year, US$1.36 million deal Lin Chih-sheng signed in 2016 with the CTBC Brothers. Although the overall value of Wang’s deal set a new record, his average monthly salary of NT$990,000 (US$33,886) is lower than Lin’s pay of NT$1.2 million per month in 2017