Thu, Feb 06, 2014 - Page 18 News List

Corinthians players threaten to strike after attack

Reuters, SAO PAULO, Brazil

Three days after 100 fans attacked and robbed Corinthians players at their training center, the furious squad made an extraordinary threat to strike and said they need more protection from angry supporters.

“We publicly offer our support to an imminent strike proposed for this weekend by the professional players union of Sao Paulo State in a bid to improve working conditions for the employees of the country’s football teams,” the players said in a statement on the club’s Web site. “We Corinthians players demand that we get security in which to work in peace.”

Angry fans, some armed with sticks and iron bars, cut a hole in the perimeter fence and invaded the team’s training ground on the outskirts of Sao Paulo on Saturday, days after the team lost 5-1 to Santos.

Peruvian striker Paolo Guerrero was grabbed around the neck by one fan, while other players reportedly had money and mobile phones stolen.

Most of the squad had not yet appeared for training and locked themselves in their rooms.

The invasion was the worst in several years at Corinthians, one of Brazil’s biggest and most passionately supported clubs.

In the past, fans have abused players, scratched their cars and physically attacked them, even in the middle of games.

Such instances are not limited to Corinthians and such incidents have taken on a new visibility with fan violence on the increase in Brazil and with the FIFA World Cup finals little more than four months away.

December last year saw some of the worst fan violence in years, with three people taken to hospital after supporters fought pitch battles during the match between Atletico Paranaense and Vasco da Gama.

At least 30 people were killed in and around stadiums last year, according to academics who study the issue.

Corinthians players warned more violence was imminent unless action is taken and said they erred by not sitting out Sunday’s 2-1 loss to Ponte Preta, the team’s third straight defeat.

“We admit we’ve been weak on the field in recent months and weaker still in taking to the field last weekend, when, in truth, we should have drawn a line and called the attention of the country, authorities, clubs and league organizers to the tragedy that is about to happen if nothing is done to halt the violence at all levels of football,” the players said. “We failed because of the contractual risks the club has with sponsors, the Paulista Football Federation and the Globo television channel, and out of respect to true Corinthians fans. If that isn’t commitment to [Corinthians] then there’s nothing more we can say.”

Nevertheless, although the statement was the clearest yet by any team, questions have also been asked about the complicity of the club’s management.

Even though the supporters attacked his players, coach Mano Menezes held a meeting with five fans’ representatives to discuss their concerns.

Corinthians are just one of the teams with close ties to big organized fan groups. Such groups are often given special treatment at Brazilian clubs. Some teams offer the hard-core fans free tickets to games and others pay for their buses to away matches.

Corinthians said they are cooperating with police inquiries into the invasion and attacks, and they called on fans and media to help them identify the culprits.

The team were due to face Bragantino at home yesterday in the Paulista state championship.

This story has been viewed 891 times.
TOP top