Thu, Jan 16, 2014 - Page 20 News List

Kidderminster, Fulham advance in FA Cup


Fulham’s English midfielder Steve Sidwell scores his team’s third goal against Norwich City during their English FA Cup third-round replay match at Craven Cottage in London on Tuesday.

Photo: AFP

The non-league Kidderminster Harriers face Premier League strugglers Sunderland in the fourth round of the FA Cup after beating Peterborough United 3-2 on Tuesday, while Fulham advanced with a 3-0 defeat of Norwich City.

Fifth-tier Kidderminster, who share the FA Cup record for best performance by a non-league team after reaching the fifth round in 1994, came from behind after Tommy Rowe opened the scoring for the League One club on a night of replays.

Goals from Michael Gash and Jack Byrne within the space of five minutes after the restart put Kidderminster in front and Joe Lolley sealed victory after Britt Assombalonga leveled for the hosts. The sides drew 0-0 earlier this month.

Delighted with Lolley’s winner, Kidderminster manager Andy Thorn said: “It was a superb strike. He had to do it because he gave the ball away for the penalty and if he had been near me I would have jumped on him.”

After a poor run of league form that has left them 16th in the standings, Fulham returned to their winning ways courtesy of goals from Darren Bent, Ashkan Dejagah and Steve Sidwell in the only all-Premier League replay with Norwich. Their earlier tie had finished 1-1.

Fulham will next travel to League One side Sheffield United.

New Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen praised his side’s defensive efforts and was particularly pleased by the clean sheet.

“We know it’s an area we need to work address,” he said. “We work ever so hard at it and made it one of our main targets today to make sure we were more solid, maybe a little less adventurous, to make sure we shut up shop.”

Wigan Athletic, who were relegated from the top flight after winning the cup in May last year, were 1-0 down until the 79th minute against the Milton Keynes Dons, before an equalizer from Nick Powell paved the way for Wigan to win 3-1 in extra-time.

Luke Chadwick put the Dons ahead after 10 minutes before Powell leveled for the holders from Chris McCann’s cross. He scored again in stoppage-time before Marc-Antoine Fortune added the third.

Fifth-tier Macclesfield Town, the lowest-ranked team left in the competition, had their run abruptly ended by Sheffield Wednesday in a 4-1 defeat at Hillsborough.

Wednesday needed only three minutes to open the scoring as Scotland international Chris Maguire cut inside two players and sent a fine shot into the corner.

A 65th-minute penalty from Scott Boden brought Macclesfield back in the game, but Jacques Maghoma scored with 12 minutes to go before further goals from Jermaine Johnson and Miguel Llera put the result beyond doubt.

Elsewhere, Watford defeated Bristol City 2-0, Birmingham City beat Bristol Rovers 3-0 and Championship club Bournemouth earned a prestigious tie at Liverpool after routing Burton Albion 4-1.

Last season’s runners-up Manchester City were to play Championship side Blackburn Rovers at home in yesterday’s only replay after they drew 1-1.

In the other Cup fixtures on Tuesday, Port Vale beat Plymouth 3-2, Charlton Atheltic drew Oxford Untied 2-2 and Preston North End outclassed Ipswich Town 3-2.

This story has been viewed 1190 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top