Holders Bayern Munich reached the German Cup quarter-finals with a 2-0 win at Augsburg on Wednesday, but at a cost as star winger Arjen Robben suffered a painful-looking knee injury.
The 29-year-old scored four minutes into Bayern’s third-round tie, but had to be stretchered off 12 minutes later having been sent tumbling by Augsburg goalkeeper Marwin Hitz.
Robben received lengthy treatment from Bayern’s medical staff pitchside and the European champions said he had suffered a “deep cut” on his right knee.
“We’ll be able to say exactly what when he has been properly examined,” Bayern director of sport Matthias Sammer said.
Bayern take part in the Club World Cup in Morocco in two weeks time after hosting Manchester City in next week’s final round of Champions League matches, with defending champions Bayern already through to the knock-out phase.
“I hope Arjen can help us for the Club World Cup at the latest,” Bayern coach Pep Guardiola said. “I am really sorry for him, we didn’t want that.”
Robben has been in outstanding form for Bayern recently, scoring in each of his last four matches for the Bundesliga leaders.
His replacement Thomas Mueller scored Bayern’s second, heading home 12 minutes from time to put Guardiola’s side into the last eight.
Bayer 04 Leverkusen, who are second in the Bundesliga, enjoyed a 2-1 win at SC Freiburg with Australia winger Robbie Kruse scoring for the visitors with just a minute gone.
Eintracht Frankfurt’s ex-Real Madrid and Spain Under-21 forward Joselu scored a hat-trick in their 4-2 win at home to second-division Sandhausen.
VfL Wolfsburg needed veteran Croatia striker Ivica Olic to hit the 89th-minute winner to seal their 2-1 victory at second-division Ingolstadt 04.
The hosts took a shock early lead before the Wolves clawed their way back with Brazilian defender Naldo equalizing with 20 minutes left.
The quarter-finals will be played next year on Feb. 11 and 12 with the final at Berin’s Olympic Stadium on May 17.
A professional soccer team in South Korea apologized after “mannequins” used as substitute fans during a match on Sunday turned out to be sex dolls. K League 1 club Seoul said that the dolls, which had been dotted around stands off-limits to supporters due to the COVID-19 pandemic, had been ordered inadvertently after a “misunderstanding” with the supplier. Earlier this month, the K League became the first major soccer league to hold matches since the start of the pandemic, with the season’s opening game watched by a worldwide audience of fans, but Seoul’s attempt to bring a touch of realism to Sunday’s
It is known as the “May 19 Incident” and by some estimations it still haunts China’s national soccer team 35 years on. On May 19, 1985, China were stunned 2-1 at home by neighbors Hong Kong, then still under British rule, on one of the most infamous nights in Chinese soccer history. It is notorious not just because China’s hopes of qualifying for the FIFA World Cup for the first time ended in calamity. After the match, fans in Beijing rioted, smashing up vehicles, attacking buses, and threatening foreign journalists and diplomatic staff. It began an intense rivalry between the two teams which
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I