Stuart Broad’s body may not have enjoyed it much, but the England paceman was nonetheless delighted to have had a full day in the field in the tourists’ final warmup for the Ashes yesterday.
The 27-year-old was the pick of England’s bowlers on the opening day of the four-day match with three wickets in a bright early spell, but his teammates took some punishment later on from an Invitational XI.
After much of their previous warmup match in Hobart was lost to rain and wet weather forced them to train indoors in Sydney, the best news for England was the sunshine bathing the Sydney Cricket Ground.
“It was good to get a first full day in the field since September, I think I will personally benefit from that,” said Broad, who finished with figures of 3-36 from 20 overs. “I feel horrendous, my legs are barking at me, but you know as bowlers you are going to get better. Whatever work you do in the nets or whatever, it’s nothing like [a] game.”
Having said that, Broad was not worried that England, gunning for a fourth straight Ashes triumph, might arrive at the Gabba on Thursday next week undercooked.
“We’ve got guys who’ve played 50,60,70 Tests, guys who’ve got fantastic winning records and you can fall back on that experience when you don’t get that time in the middle,” he said. “There’s no concern about that in the dressing room.”
Having been restricted to a few dozen overs in the field in Hobart, England elected to bowl first when they won the toss and made the most of lively early conditions to reduce the locals to 93-5.
An unbeaten sixth-wicket partnership of 178 runs between Ryan Carters (94) and Peter Nevill (76) frustrated the tourists, though, and took the hosts to 271-5 at the close.
England’s pace attack for the opening Ashes Test in Brisbane next week is expected to comprise James Anderson, Broad with one other seamer.
With Anderson and Chris Tremlett rested, Steve Finn and Boyd Rankin had their chance to press for a place in the lineup for the Gabba Test, but neither grasped it.
Finn finished with two for 79, while Rankin probably bowled better, but headed back to the pavilion without a wicket and having given up 60 runs in 20 overs.
“It’s hugely exciting we have such a choice,” Broad said. “I genuinely feel whoever goes into that seamer’s spot will do a fantastic job.”
As expected, Kevin Pietersen was included in the team, despite having a cortisone injection in his knee on Sunday, while Michael Carberry looks set to make his Ashes debut next week after being named as an opener.
England coach Andy Flower said last week that the top six for this match would more than likely be the same as that for Brisbane.
Carberry, whose elevation to the starting XI would mean Joe Root dropping down to No. 6 in the batting order, did his chances no harm with a brilliant catch at backward-point to help Broad dismiss one of his victims, Ben Rohrer.
Broad was told to expect a hostile reception in Australia after controversially not walking in the first Ashes series of the year, but said he had experienced nothing but hospitality since his arrival.
“It’s been great so far, the reception at all the grounds has been great, but I’m sure it will be a bit livelier at the Gabba,” he said.
A businessman who received millions of dollars for his work on Tokyo’s successful campaign to host the 2020 Olympic Games has said that he played a key role in securing the support of a former Olympics powerbroker suspected by French prosecutors of taking bribes to help Japan’s bid. Haruyuki Takahashi, a former executive at the advertising agency Dentsu, was paid US$8.2 million by the committee that spearheaded Tokyo’s bid for the 2020 Games, financial records showed. Takahashi said the work included lobbying International Olympic Committee (IOC) members such as Lamine Diack, the ex-Olympics powerbroker, and that he gave Diack gifts, including digital
DECREASED TENSION: The US players’ lawyers said that the soccer federation no longer disputes that the jobs of the women’s and men’s national teams require equal skill Women players suing the US Soccer Federation (USSF) said in in court documents filed on Tuesday that the federation has acknowledged that the jobs of male and female soccer players require equal skill. The language seemed to signal a decrease in tension between the parties after language in documents filed by the federation’s lawyers earlier last month provoked widespread outrage in saying that playing on the men’s national team required a higher level of skill based on speed and strength and carried greater responsibility. The fierce backlash — not only from the women players, but also from sponsors such as Coca-Cola —
BITING THE BULLET: Barcelona’s Lionel Messi said that top players would make contributions so that the club’s employees can collect 100 percent of their salary Three-quarters of Rugby Australia’s staff were temporarily laid off yesterday amid huge financial losses from the sport’s coronavirus-enforced shutdown, while Lionel Messi confirmed on Monday that Barcelona’s players would take a 70 percent pay cut to ensure that the club’s other employees are paid. The cuts to rugby staff were “the toughest decision in the game’s history,” governing body CEO Raelene Castle said. “Although extremely painful, they are necessary to ensure ... we are able to come out the other side of this global crisis, fully operational and ready to throw everything into the rebuild.” The sport has been hit hard by
If British industry succeeds in saving lives during the COVID-19 pandemic, it would in part be thanks to the pioneering role played by Formula One (F1) racing teams in the country. Seven of F1’s 10 teams have joined forces with leading aerospace and engineering firms to ramp up production of ventilators, while Mercedes has also worked with medics and academics to produce an alternative breathing aid. Normally obsessed with improving the performance of cars that race at more than 320kph, the teams are stripping back lifesaving devices and using computer simulation to test whether more simplified models can be mass produced. The seven