“To save the BT contract, the only solution was that there be another competition,” the former France international added.
Lux said teams from Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales, at an ERC meeting last week, “clearly stated they will never take part in such a [rival] tournament.”
He also maintained clubs would never obtain the green light to participate from their unions.
“You saw the French federation’s statement [against the rival competition], I can tell you that the [English] RFU [Rugby Football Union] feel the same,” Lux said.
However, RFU chief executive Ian Ritchie has deliberately refused to take a public stance, saying earlier this month: “I am not going to give a negotiating position in public because I believe it is better to see if we can bring everyone together.”
However, LNR president Paul Goze sounded a warning on Monday, saying he “completely excluded a return to negotiations.”
“They haven’t worked for 15 months and they’re not going to succeed in 15 days,” Goze said. “The creation of a new competition would allow us to get out of this impasse, in which we’ve been stuck for several months.”