Former boxer Oscar de la Hoya has admitted himself to a treatment facility as he continues to fight his substance abuse.
De la Hoya issued a statement on Tuesday saying he voluntarily admitted himself to an unnamed facility. The move comes ahead of the biggest fight of the year for his promotion company on Saturday, when Floyd Mayweather Jr takes on Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.
“I will not be at the fight this Saturday to cheer Canelo to victory since I have voluntarily admitted myself into a treatment facility,” De la Hoya said in his statement. “I explained this to Canelo and he understood that my health and long-term recovery from my disease must come first.”
De la Hoya first admitted two years ago that he was an alcoholic and drug user and had been in treatment. He told the Los Angeles Times last month that he sometimes attends Alcoholics Anonymous meetings six days a week, but had slipped at times in his treatment.
“The fight life, that was easy,” he told the paper. “This is a battle I have every day.”
De la Hoya is a partner in Golden Boy Promotions, which promotes Alvarez and is promoting the fight against Mayweather. He appeared several times on Showtime’s All Access show cheering on Alvarez in what is expected to be one of the richest fights in boxing history.
De la Hoya won world titles in six classes and an Olympic gold medal in 1992. He retired in December 2008, after being stopped by Manny Pacquiao in his last fight.