Barcelona will give Lionel Messi every opportunity to prove his fitness ahead of the second leg of the Spanish Supercopa against Atletico Madrid at the Camp Nou today.
Messi was taken off at halftime during last week’s 1-1 draw in the first leg with a thigh injury and missed the Catalans’ 1-0 win away to Malaga on Sunday, which moved them back to the top of La Liga.
However, the Argentine took a full part in training on Monday with those who had not been involved in the Malaga game as the majority of his colleagues underwent a recovery session.
“We have two days to make a decision, but with the information that I have today we are very happy with how he is recovering,” Barca boss Gerardo Martino told reporters after Sunday’s game.
However, Martino indicated that Neymar could once miss out from the start, despite shining in cameo appearances as a substitute in Barcelona’s last two games.
The Brazilian scored his first Barca goal to rescue a draw for Martino’s men in the first leg and again looked like the visitors most dangerous outlet when he replaced Pedro with half an hour to go at La Rosaleda at the weekend.
“Neymar is improving all the time, you can already see the difference in him between the the last two matches and the first one against Levante [UD],” Martino said. “I don’t know when exactly we will start him, but you can see mentally he is ready and we will do it at the most opportune time.”
Even if Messi and Neymar do not start, Martino will make a couple of changes to the side that started against Malaga as Sergio Busquets and Dani Alves will return after being rested in place of Alex Song and Adriano, who is also struggling with a hamstring injury.
Despite the fact that Barca have set the early pace in La Liga, Atletico’s start to the season has been arguably even more impressive as they followed up a 3-1 success at Sevilla on the opening weekend of the season with a 5-0 thrashing of Rayo Vallecano de Madrid on Sunday.
Manager Diego Simeone has repeatedly downplayed his side’s chances of competing with Barca and Real Madrid for the title this season, but believes their record of winning three trophies in little over a year shows they have what it takes to go the Camp Nou and lift the club’s first Supercopa since 1985.
“The tie is still alive and we now have a big game at their place,” Simeone said. “I still think the league can only be won by two teams, there are so many games it is almost impossible, but we are talking about a tie over two games and we have shown we can compete in finals.”
Simeone is expected to name the same side that started the first leg, with former Barca favorite David Villa and Diego Costa entrusted with the task of exploiting a Barca defense that has looked far from solid, despite keeping two clean sheets in three games.
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Coming from the business world, New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai (蔡崇信) did not understand why his WNBA franchise did not have a chief executive officer similar to the team’s NBA counterpart the Brooklyn Nets, which Tsai also owns. For Tsai, it was about equality, so he did something about it. The 56-year-old Taipei-born billionaire businessman and philanthropist promoted Keia Clarke to the position last week — making her the first chief executive officer in the team’s history. The WNBA veteran became the third black woman to currently be in charge of a franchise in the league, joining Los Angeles Sparks president
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
MONEY MATTERS: While COVID-19 played a major role in the decision, the CTBA also found it hard to secure sponsorship, and ticket sales would have been affected The Yonex Taipei Open badminton tournament has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a funding shortfall, the CTBA said yesterday. This was the first time that the tournament, a Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Super 300-level competition, has been canceled since it began in 1980. The Taipei Open has been held annually since 1980. The tournament was to be played at the Taipei Arena from Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, with total prize money of US$500,000. The CTBA said that it was deeply concerned about whether the Taipei Open would proceed as scheduled after the BWF announced changes