Australian golfer Jarrod Lyle will make a return to professional golf at the Australian Masters in November after an 18-month battle with cancer, organizers said yesterday.
Lyle, a member of the USPGA Tour, was diagnosed with a recurrence of the leukemia he battled as a teenager in March last year and has been sidelined since.
However, the 31-year-old has agreed to make his return at the Australian Masters from Nov. 14-17, where he is to share the limelight with US Masters and defending champion Adam Scott and the US’ world No. 6 Matt Kuchar.
“I’ve made the decision to play the Masters this year as a test to see where everything is at before I look to head back to the States and the PGA Tour,” Lyle said on the tournament Web site.
“That first tee shot is going to be for everybody who’s supported me through all of this, but especially for my girls, Bri and Lusi,” he added, referring to his wife and young daughter.
“I will be smiling from ear to ear for at least 36 holes. I’ll enjoy the whole atmosphere, whether I play well or not,” Lyle said.
Lyle last played on the PGA Tour at the Mayakoba Golf Classic in Mexico early last year, where he finished in a tie for 37th.
His shock diagnosis was delivered when he sought treatment from his local doctor for an infection from an insect bite he sustained in Mexico. Blood tests revealed leukemia had returned.