Spanish side Sevilla announced that they have accepted a bid from Manchester City for Spain international Jesus Navas late on Monday night.
“Jesus Navas will leave Sevilla to go to Manchester City,” a statement on the club’s Web site said. “On Monday, Sevilla accepted the offer of the English club, bearing in mind the wishes of the player, who will have to pass a medical.”
“Navas, after 10 seasons in the first team and a performance level that places him as the best winger in Nervion’s history, wants to continue his successful sporting career in English football, more specifically at a club where he can continue growing as a player, as he has publicly declared on various occasions in recent months,” it said.
The 27-year-old, who has represented his country on 23 occasions, made 393 appearances in his 10 years with Los Nervioneses.
Navas enjoyed great success early in his career with Sevilla as part of the side that won back-to-back UEFA Cups in 2005-2006 and 2006-2007, as well as the Copa del Rey in 2006-2007 and 2009-2010.
However, the opportunity to move on from the Spanish side earlier in his career was impeded by severe homesickness and anxiety whenever he was away from his home province for extended periods.
That anxiety also delayed his international career until he accepted a call-up from Spain coach Vicente del Bosque in November 2009.
Such was his impact on the international side that Del Bosque took him to South Africa for the World Cup in 2010.
Navas was involved in the buildup to Andres Iniesta’s goal in the final that handed Spain their first-ever World Cup triumph.
Navas was also part of the Spain team that retained the title at Euro 2012.
His arrival in Manchester seems to be further evidence that Malaga coach Manuel Pellegrini will succeed Roberto Mancini as City manager.
Pellegrini has already declared that he is to leave Malaga at the end of the season and admitted last week to having a verbal agreement in place with City.