Sun, May 26, 2013 - Page 19 News List

Brumbies master weather to give Auckland the blues


The ACT Brumbies mastered the wet and windy conditions in Auckland, New Zealand, yesterday to beat the Blues 20-13 in the 1,500th game of Super Rugby.

Scrumhalf Nic White scored their only try and Christian Lealiifano kicked five penalties as the Brumbies bounced back with a win after consecutive defeats to the Crusaders and Waratahs.

The Australian Conference leaders success was built on tactical kicking, which pinned the Blues back for the majority of the first half, with the hosts guilty of numerous handling errors and struggling at the lineout.

The Blues improved after the break, but they gave themselves too much to do with the conditions not helping their exciting backs, while much of the second half was spent resetting scrums.

“To come out here and play in the conditions like they were in the first half and execute our plan, I thought our guys were really good tonight,” Brumbies skipper Ben Mowen said in a pitchside interview. “Our defense was extremely strong in that first half.”

Lealiifano slotted two penalties in the first 17 minutes at Eden Park to put the Brumbies 6-0 ahead, before White cleverly used the wet conditions to score the game’s opening try five minutes later.

Blues winger George Moala dropped a greasy high ball and, after the Brumbies forwards piled in to the ruck, the ball squirted free. White hacked through and slid over from well short of the try-line to avoid a tackle for the first five pointer.

Lealiifano failed to convert the tricky effort from near the right touchline, but did slot another penalty before the hooter as the Brumbies went in 14-0 ahead at halftime.

Blues coach John Kirwan was seen angrily remonstrating with his team during the break and the tongue lashing drew some positive reaction, with the hosts improving in the second period.

Flyhalf Chris Noakes slotted an early penalty to get them on the board, before outside center Rene Ranger crossed for a try in the 53rd minute after a smart dummy and break by All Blacks scrumhalf Piri Weepu.

Noakes converted to close the gap to 14-10, but Lealiifano slotted two more penalties to one from Blues replacement Baden Kerr as the Brumbies claimed the four points.

“Tonight, we gave ourselves an uppercut for the first half,” dejected Blues lock and skipper Ali Williams said.


AFP, PERTH, Australia

The Western Force continued their recent dominance of the Otago Highlanders with a thrilling win in their Super XV clash in Perth, Australia, yesterday.

In the battle of the competition’s cellar dwellers, with just three wins between them this season, the Force made it a fifth straight win against the embattled Highlanders and notched their third victory of the season.

For the New Zealand side, the result means they are almost certain to claim the wooden spoon this year.

Although the Force only ran in the only try in a match dominated by the kicking games of both sides, the boot of Jayden Hayward held the Highlanders at bay. Hayward scored 14 points and also set up the game’s only try.

After the Highlanders hit the lead through a Colin Slade long-range penalty in the 76th minute, Hayward won a penalty 60 seconds later when he was taken out by substitute Tino Nemani after kicking the ball.

Hayward stepped up and coolly slotted the penalty to put the Force back in front.

This story has been viewed 1304 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top