Sat, May 04, 2013 - Page 20 News List

Blues weather furious Stormers fightback to win


Luke Braid of the Auckland Blues is tackled during their Super XV game against the Western Stormers yesterday in Auckland, New Zealand.

Photo: AFP

The Blues weathered a furious fightback by the Stormers to win a Super Rugby cliffhanger 18-17 in Auckland and cement their place in the southern hemisphere competition’s top six yesterday.

Flyhalf Chris Noakes scored all of the hosts’ points at North Harbour Stadium with six straight penalty kicks, but the match was nearly stolen by an inspirational two-try effort by Stormers captain Jean de Villiers.

With the visitors trailing 15-3 in the final quarter, De Villiers willed his team back into the contest with a 65th minute try and another with three minutes left on the clock.

Joe Pietersen’s second conversion made it a one-point ball game, but the Blues were composure personified in a frantic four minutes after the siren, withstanding a more-than-20 phase assault in their territory as the Stormers searched in vain for a winning penalty kick.

It was the South Africans who ultimately crumbled under the pressure, as Pietersen miscued a speculative drop goal attempt from long range to surrender the match.

The win was the Blues’ fifth from nine games midway through the season and keeps the pressure on the defending champion Chiefs in the New Zealand conference.

The Stormers were left to rue a sloppy first half in which indiscipline cost them a 9-3 lead at the break and poor kicking cost them a number of scoring chances.

After Noakes slotted two penalty goals in the opening quarter, Stormers lock Andries Bekker failed to plant the ball over the line at the end of a promising drive in the 19th minute.

Barring a penalty goal from point-blank range, Pietersen’s normally dependable boot deserted him, and the Stormers waved away two chances to kick for points.

They came away empty-handed both times after being frustrated by a dogged Blues defense and a Pietersen kick that failed to clear the touch-line.

In between, Pietersen missed a penalty goal from straight in front and watched as Noakes kicked his third six minutes before halftime.

The flyhalf made it five-from-five with another two penalty goals early after the break, and the Stormers appeared destined to slump to an insipid loss before De Villiers’ inspired finish.

The Stormers captain offloaded to Juan de Jongh who was brought down just short of the line, but De Villiers collected the ball back and barged through a clutch of defenders for his first try.

He ratcheted up the pressure again by shrugging off a tackle and bolting 40m to the line to score his second, but the Blues held on grimly to secure the points.


Reuters, MELBOURNE, Australia

Gareth Anscombe scored a hat-trick of tries as the fast-starting Chiefs prevailed 39-33 over the Melbourne Rebels yesterday.

The Chiefs fullback caught fire in the first half at Melbourne’s Rectangular Stadium, securing a bonus point for the visitors in the 27th minute with his third try, and finishing a 24-point game with three conversions and a penalty.

Inspired by backs James O’Connor and Kurtley Beale, the Rebels pulled within a converted try with five minutes left, but the Chiefs held on to retain top spot in the New Zealand conference.

Anscombe was denied a magical fourth try in the 78th minute by the television match official, who ruled the ball had been pushed forward by a teammate just before the fullback received it wide and bolted for the left corner.

This story has been viewed 1641 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top