AS Roma came from behind to win 3-2 at Inter in the second leg of the Italian Cup semi-finals on Wednesday to set up a capital derby final against SS Lazio.
Mattia Destro, who spent time in Inter’s youth ranks, scored twice for Roma before a stunning long-range lob from teammate Vasilis Torosidis helped their team progress 5-3 on aggregate.
“I really wanted to play and score, I had been out for three months,” Destro said.
“Now there’s a really important final ahead of us. It means so much to us and we really want to win it,” he added.
Jonathan, who only started after Esteban Cambiasso was injured in the warm-up, gave Inter the lead in the 22nd minute by combining with Ricky Alvarez and Tommaso Rocchi for a well-worked goal.
Ricky Alvarez pulled one back for Inter 10 minutes from time.
Inter were without Antonio Cassano, Rodrigo Palacio, Diego Milito, Walter Gargano, Yuto Nagatomo and Dejan Stankovic due to injury, while Alvaro Pereira and Fredy Guarin were suspended.
It was Inter’s fourth loss in five matches. However, the hosts started well and were on course to progress to the final on away goals after Jonathan played a one-two first with Alvarez and then a back-heeled version with Tommaso Rocchi before firing into the bottom-left corner.
Roma had been struggling to carve out any real opportunities until Inter goalkeeper Samir Handanovic pulled off brilliant saves to deny Mattia Destro and Alessandro Florenzi at the end of the first half.
Destro leveled 10 minutes after the interval, beating the offside trap to run onto Erik Lamela’s pass and lift the ball over the onrushing Handanovic.
He doubled his tally in the 69th, running in unmarked to tap Federico Balzaretti’s low cross into an empty net.
Torosidis secured Roma’s place in the final five minutes later, bursting down the right flank before volleying into the far top corner from outside the area.
Alvarez’s shot was deflected past goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg to give Inter some faint, but ultimately futile, hope.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
DISSENT: The US track and field body joined sports officials in Norway and Brazil, as well as Indian athletes, in calling on the IOC to postpone the Tokyo Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 organizers have started drafting possible alternatives to holding the Olympics this summer, two sources familiar with the talks said, in contrast to the Japanese government’s stance that postponement is not an option. While the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted sports events around the world, Japan has been steadfast in saying that the Games would go on. A Japanese government spokesman on Wednesday said that Tokyo was not preparing for postponement. “Finally, we have been asked to make a simulation in case of a postponement,” said one of the sources, an official close to the organizing committee who is involved in drafting the
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last