Bernie Ecclestone has assured protesters in Bahrain that he understands their grievances and is willing to meet opposition figures ahead of the most controversial Formula One race of the year this weekend.
However, in comments that could antagonize rights campaigners and pro-democracy activists, the F1 commercial supremo also compared civil unrest in the Gulf island kingdom to threatened protests during today’s funeral of former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher in London.
“I’m happy to talk to anybody about this, as I did before,” he said in comments to British reporters published yesterday, mentioning that he had met members of the opposition group al-Wefaq last year in London and Bahrain.
“We don’t want to see trouble. We don’t want to see people arguing and fighting about things we don’t understand, because we really don’t understand ... Some people feel it’s our fault there are problems,” he said.
A group of British politicians has written to Ecclestone urging him to cancel the race, which was reinstated to the calendar last year after being called off in 2011.
“I think most democratic-minded people would be appalled if you allowed the Bahrain leg of the Formula One championship to go ahead amidst the most atrocious human rights violations,” opposition Labour MP Andy Slaughter wrote.
He wrote on behalf of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Democracy in Bahrain which he chairs and has sent similar letters to Formula One drivers and the sport’s sponsors.
Ecclestone has said repeatedly that he has no cause for concern ahead of a race that had to be cancelled in 2011 after an uprising and bloody government crackdown. It went ahead last year against a backdrop of petrol bombs and teargas.
If some of his past comments have been interpreted as making light of the unrest, the 82-year-old British billionaire made clear on this occasion that he understood both sides of the argument and was not insensitive to the opposition.
“We are extremely sympathetic to them,” he said. “Don’t forget, I was the one, when we had the apartheid in South Africa, who pulled the race.”
Formula One personnel and race drivers have begun arriving in Bahrain after last weekend’s grand prix in Shanghai, with protests picking up as the fourth race of the season approaches.
The local Gulf Daily News reported four explosions, including one in Manama’s financial center, on Sunday night, with one caused by a gas cylinder placed in a stolen car in the Bahrain Financial Harbour parking area.
A radical opposition group, the Coalition of February 14 Youth, claimed responsibility and warned it would continue similar “operations.”
The computer hacker group Anonymous has threatened to target the official Formula One and Bahrain Grand Prix Web sites.
There is a visible police presence in the Bahraini capital Manama and daily clashes, largely unnoticed beyond the region, still erupt between protesters and security forces in a Sunni-ruled country where the Shiite majority complains of discrimination.
Watched by many millions around the world, the grand prix puts Bahrain in the global spotlight — as well as about US$40 million in the F1 coffers in annual hosting fees — and authorities are keen to use it to showcase the country. It also gives opponents an opportunity to highlight their grievances.
The opposition and government resumed reconciliation talks in February for the first time since 2011, when protests were crushed and at least 35 people died, but little progress has been reported.
The opposition puts the death toll at more than 80.
“I wish they could sort things out,” Ecclestone said. “If there are any problems, which there are obviously — people are not making trouble if there are no problems — then they could get it sorted out.”
“I don’t think the people who are arguing about their position are bad people, and I don’t think they’re trying to hurt people to make their point,” he said.
“We’ve had all sorts of protesters — look at those complaining about Mrs Thatcher. This happens all the time. People use these things when there is an opportunity,” he said.
Ecclestone’s comments at least addressed a concern within Formula One that the sport’s leading figures risked making the situation in Bahrain worse by appearing uncaring and unaware of the social problems.
Britain’s 1996 world champion Damon Hill has criticized the governing FIA for saying nothing to distance the sport from “things it would find distasteful and upsetting.”
“I think the vast majority of the people in Formula One would like to say: ‘We don’t want to come here to make things worse for people. We would like you to enjoy Formula One, we think Formula One’s got lots of positive things to offer, but please don’t on our behalf round people up and brutalize them,’” Hill said.
Chen Jifang hits the gym for at least two hours every day and has the physique to prove it. At nearly 70, she is being held up as a shining example as China orders its vast population to get fit and lose the bulge. The grandmother from Shanghai has become a minor celebrity in in the past few months after her newfound and unlikely love for working out made national headlines. After becoming a gym regular in December 2018, Chen lost 14kg in three months, and now sports the kind of flat stomach and toned muscles that people decades younger aspire to. She
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
ANOTHER SCANDAL: Searches focused on several riders, including Dayer Quintana, a source said, while the two being held were reportedly a doctor and physiotherapist French police on Monday detained two people as part of an investigation into suspected doping in the Arkea-Samsic team at this year’s Tour de France, prosecutors announced. The probe is the first significant one in several years for the repeatedly scandal-hit tour, which on Sunday wrapped up in Paris with a victory for 21-year-old Tadej Pogacar, who became the youngest winner in more than a century. Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Marseille said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out into a “small part” of France-based Arkea-Samsic, without specifying who had been placed in custody. Laurens added that the two
Former MLB pitcher Wang Wei-chung has signed the biggest contract with a local team in Taiwan’s professional baseball history, the Wei Chuan Dragons said yesterday. The 28-year-old left-hander signed a five-year US$2.08 million contract with the Dragons, team chairman Hsu Wen-fang told a news conference. It is the biggest contract in the CPBL’s 31-year history, surpassing a three-year, US$1.36 million deal Lin Chih-sheng signed in 2016 with the CTBC Brothers. Although the overall value of Wang’s deal set a new record, his average monthly salary of NT$990,000 (US$33,886) is lower than Lin’s pay of NT$1.2 million per month in 2017