League leaders Bayern Munich demolished Hamburg SV 9-2 with four goals from striker Claudio Pizarro and two from Arjen Robben on Saturday to put one hand on the Bundesliga trophy with seven games to play.
With a dazzling performance that will act as a warning to Juventus ahead of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final tomorrow, Bayern, resting several key players, could have celebrated their 23rd German title were it not for Borussia Dortmund’s Robert Lewandowski.
The Poland striker scored a late winner earlier on Saturday to give the champions a narrow 2-1 victory at VfB Stuttgart and put Bayern’s title champagne on ice for at least another week.
However, with a 20-point lead over second-placed Dortmund the Bavarians look set to lift their 22nd Bundesliga trophy.
“We played textbook football at times today and the title cannot really slip away any more,” Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes told reporters. “It was important to fill up on confidence, but Tuesday’s game will be different, with Juve being a top European team and much more aggressive.”
For Hamburg, it equaled their heaviest defeat in the Bundesliga’s 50 years and put a dent in their hopes of claiming a European spot.
“I have not experienced this as a coach before,” Hamburg’s Thorsten Fink said. “I do not have an explanation for this 9-2. Everyone has to be self-critical, both team and coach.”
Bayern unleashed one attack after another from the start, with Xherdan Shaqiri opening their account with a low drive in the fifth minute.
Bastian Schweinsteiger headed in their second, before Pizarro volleyed in from close range and Robben added another in a scintillating 33-minute spell.
Peruvian Pizarro, the Bundesliga’s all-time top foreign scorer, got his second goal on the stroke of halftime and completed his hat-trick eight minutes after the restart with a superb back-heel, before Dutchman Robben was again on target a minute later.
Third-placed Bayer 04 Leverkusen kept on course for the Champions League with a 4-1 win over Fortuna Duesseldorf.
Two goals apiece from Stefan Kiessling and Andre Schuerrle left them four points behind Dortmund.
Schalke 04 leapfrogged into fourth place after leaving it late to beat relegation-threatened TSG 1899 Hoffenheim 3-0 with three goals in the final 19 minutes.
SC Freiburg also improved their European chances, easing past rivals Borussia Moenchengladbach 2-0 to move into seventh place on 39.
Max Kruse, linked with a move to ’Gladbach next season, struck twice in Freiburg’s first win in five matches.
In Stuttgart, early substitute Lukasz Piszczek headed a Marco Reus free-kick past goalkeeper Sven Ulreich for Borussia Dortmund’s opener in the 29th minute.
Stuttgart worked their way back into the game and Alexandru Maxim drew them level with a low drive in the 63rd minute. The hosts were lucky to have the goal awarded after Antonio Ruediger stepped well inside the pitch with a throw-in that led to the goal.
Stuttgart then had Georg Niedermeier sent off for a second booking after a rough challenge on Mario Goetze in the 68th minute and Dortmund made the extra man count when rightback Piszczek fed Lewandowski for the tap-in.
In other matches on Saturday, Hannover 96 won 2-0 at third-from-bottom Augsburg, while FSV Mainz 05 were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Werder Bremen.
Additional reporting by staff writer
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Coming from the business world, New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai (蔡崇信) did not understand why his WNBA franchise did not have a chief executive officer similar to the team’s NBA counterpart the Brooklyn Nets, which Tsai also owns. For Tsai, it was about equality, so he did something about it. The 56-year-old Taipei-born billionaire businessman and philanthropist promoted Keia Clarke to the position last week — making her the first chief executive officer in the team’s history. The WNBA veteran became the third black woman to currently be in charge of a franchise in the league, joining Los Angeles Sparks president
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
MONEY MATTERS: While COVID-19 played a major role in the decision, the CTBA also found it hard to secure sponsorship, and ticket sales would have been affected The Yonex Taipei Open badminton tournament has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a funding shortfall, the CTBA said yesterday. This was the first time that the tournament, a Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Super 300-level competition, has been canceled since it began in 1980. The Taipei Open has been held annually since 1980. The tournament was to be played at the Taipei Arena from Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, with total prize money of US$500,000. The CTBA said that it was deeply concerned about whether the Taipei Open would proceed as scheduled after the BWF announced changes