Shinya Aoki is Asia’s most recognizable mixed martial artist, but away from the cage he hardly stands out from the crowd, with his sensible attire and scholarly glasses. The 29-year-old does not look intimidating, but appearances can be deceptive and he has a hard-earned reputation as one of the most-feared opponents in the sport.
Fighters fear Aoki because of his arsenal of potentially fight-finishing submissions. Once the Japanese lightweight succeeds in applying one of these holds, locks or chokes, his opponent must either concede defeat or risk serious injury.
Aoki’s most recent opponent, Arnaud Lepont, who he fought in the main event of the ONE Fighting Championship (FC) “Rise of Kings” event in October last year, chose the second option and was left unconscious on the canvas in front of 12,000 fans at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.
Photo: Courtesy of One Fighting Championship
Mizuto Hirota paid an even heavier price at a Dynamite event that took place in Tokyo in 2009. He was caught in a hammerlock by Aoki that snapped his arm, putting him out of action for the best part of two years.
The win over Lepont was particularly significant for Aoki because it was his first fight for ONE FC, the most prominent mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion in Asia. The matchmakers were sufficiently impressed to grant an immediate title shot and he says the fight is the most important of his career to date.
“Before, I was champion of Shooto and Dream, but only people in Japan watched me fight in those days, whereas people all over Asia watch ONE FC, so winning this belt would be my greatest achievement as a fighter,” he said
The lightweight title fight with reigning champion Kotetsu Boku will be the main event of ONE FC: “Kings & Champions,” which takes at the Singapore Indoor Stadium on April 5. The show will be broadcast live across Asia by Star Sports and Aoki, who has spent the majority of his career competing in Japan, is relishing the opportunity to showcase his submission skills in front of a wider audience.
“In Japan, MMA is not as big as it was before, but in other countries, it is growing very fast. I have fought in the US three times and it is very difficult because of the traveling and the time difference, so I prefer to stay here, and ONE FC is the biggest promotion in Asia, so it is the best place for me to test myself,” he said.
Revenge will be on the agenda, because Boku won the belt by beating one of Aoki’s teammates, Zorobabel Moreira. With a world title on the line, there is already plenty of prestige at stake, but for the challenger at least, this fight will be personal.
“I think Boku was lucky to beat ‘Zoro,’ who is my good friend, but he will need more than luck if he wants to keep the belt because I intend to avenge my teammate’s loss. I respect Boku’s ability and also the power of his punches, but I believe I am a more complete fighter than he is,” he said.
Moreira and Aoki are both members of the fight team at Evolve MMA in Singapore, where the Japanese fighter has been training since 2011. He is only slowly getting to grips with the English language and admits to occasional bouts of homesickness, but feels that these are the sort of sacrifices he must make if he wants to win the third major title of his career.
“Evolve MMA has world champions in Muay Thai, boxing and wrestling, as well as jiujitsu, which has always been my strength. I am constantly seeking to improve as a fighter, and to do that I need to work with the best trainers and training fighters, and they are here in Singapore. Sometimes it is hard when my family is not here with me, but when I have my son in my arms and the belt around my waist, it will all be worthwhile,” he said.
ONE FC is expanding rapidly, with Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur and Manila already having hosted shows and Taipei among the future destinations on the itinerary. It is the beginning of a new era for Asian MMA, which Aoki dreams of dominating.
A win on April 5 would be the perfect start.
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Coming from the business world, New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai (蔡崇信) did not understand why his WNBA franchise did not have a chief executive officer similar to the team’s NBA counterpart the Brooklyn Nets, which Tsai also owns. For Tsai, it was about equality, so he did something about it. The 56-year-old Taipei-born billionaire businessman and philanthropist promoted Keia Clarke to the position last week — making her the first chief executive officer in the team’s history. The WNBA veteran became the third black woman to currently be in charge of a franchise in the league, joining Los Angeles Sparks president
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
MONEY MATTERS: While COVID-19 played a major role in the decision, the CTBA also found it hard to secure sponsorship, and ticket sales would have been affected The Yonex Taipei Open badminton tournament has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a funding shortfall, the CTBA said yesterday. This was the first time that the tournament, a Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Super 300-level competition, has been canceled since it began in 1980. The Taipei Open has been held annually since 1980. The tournament was to be played at the Taipei Arena from Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, with total prize money of US$500,000. The CTBA said that it was deeply concerned about whether the Taipei Open would proceed as scheduled after the BWF announced changes