Badminton star Lee Chong Wei moved to within two wins of regaining the men’s singles title at the All-England Open on Friday, but was so disappointed with the quality of the success which got him there that he claimed he would forget it.
The world No. 1 from Malaysia was never in difficulty in a 21-17, 21-19 win over Tienh Min Nguyen, the seventh-seeded Vietnamese player, but shook his head at how much he felt his performance fell below its usual very high standards.
There were some moments of exceptional brilliance from Lee, sometimes with agile defense, sometimes with airborne attack, and twice with spectacularly dismissive brushed kills at the net.
However, he appeared oddly distracted at others, notably when he let slip four match points in a row, before concluding a superb attack-defense-attack combination on the fifth with a flying jump smash.
“I made some simple mistakes,” he said, shaking his head. “I just have to forget about it and move on.”
Qualifier Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk proved consistently too good for Tommy Sugiarto, the son of former world champion Icuk Sugiarto, winning 21-17, 21-11.
Despite the emergence of the Thai surprise packet, it is China’s Chen Long who appears to be the biggest threat to Lee, with his great movement and control, and increasing patience and maturity.
Chen won a match full of deft rallies with mesmerizing patterns against Kashyap Parupalli, the top ten Indian, who led 13-11, but could make no further headway.
Chen was denied the expected semi-final with his compatriot Chen Jin however, when the former world champion was well beaten 21-7, 21-14 by Jan Jorgensen, the Danish world No. 13.
The unseeded Jorgensen was admirably quick and assertive, but appeared to benefit for the second match in a row from an opponent with less than adequate fitness.
On Thursday, the fourth seeded Sony Dwo Kuncoro retired against him with a bad back; on Friday Chen’s movement was so labored that he lost 15 of the first 18 points and was hardly in contention. At the end the Dane placed his hand on the Chinese player’s arm by way of consolation.
Earlier, the former world No. 1 Tine Baun remained on course for a big farewell when she reached the semi-finals of the All-England Open in the last week of her special career.
Baun, the only woman to deny China a singles title in the past decade, was often at her commanding, emotionally intense best as she won 21-7, 21-13 against Lindaweni Fanetri, the world No. 19 from Indonesia.
“I am pleased with the finish this is going to give my career,” Baun said.
Earlier, the defeat of Wang Shixian, the former All-England champion means that for only the third time in 16 years the sport’s most powerful nation will not win the women’s singles.
It is also the first time since 1995 that China has not had a semi-finalist in this event.
Wang was beaten by No. 2 seed Saina Nehwal, who took a step nearer becoming the first Indian woman ever to win the All-England title after a 23-21, 10-21, 21-16 victory over the former champion.
“I have to handle the pressure of expectations from all the Indian fans and hopefully I am doing that,” Nehwal said.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last
When two Spanish soccer players took to the controls of FIFA 20 after the COVID-19 pandemic saw their La Liga match canceled, a stadium-sized virtual audience watched online. The huge digital crowd last week is part of a spectacular boom for the digital gaming industry, as record numbers flock to online servers for distraction, entertainment and friendship with the “real world” seemingly falling apart. Real Betis Balompie striker Borja Iglesias kicked the winning goal using his own digital likeness in the 6-5 battle against Sevilla, which was broadcast on popular video game streaming platform Twitch. It took place at the same time the