Maria Sharapova has lost only five games in four matches on the way to the Australian Open quarter-finals, a record at the season’s first major that seems to be immaterial to the 25-year-old Russian.
The world No. 2 beat Kirsten Flipkens of Belgium 6-1, 6-0 on Sunday to continue a dominant and unparalleled run.
“Well I’m certainly happy to be playing this well, but ... it only gets tougher from here,” said Sharapova, who is playing her first tournament of the year after withdrawing from an exhibition match in South Korea and a warmup event in Brisbane because of an injured collarbone.
Steffi Graf conceded only eight games in her opening four matches in Melbourne in 1989, when she won the second of her three straight Australian Open titles. Monica Seles matched that mark. Sharapova has been even more dominant.
She started with a pair of 6-0, 6-0 wins — the first time that has happened at a major since 1985 — and then beat seven-time Grand Slam winner Venus Williams 6-1, 6-3 in the third round.
The reigning French Open champion is showing no signs of trouble with the collarbone in Melbourne, where she last won the title in 2008.
“The year that I won here I don’t think there were many games that I lost, but I don’t think it was five or six,” she said, reflecting on a run to the title where she beat three players who had been ranked world No. 1. “Toughest draw in my career.”
It has not been as tough this year, but she next plays fellow Russian Ekaterina Makarova, who ousted fifth seed Angelique Kerber 7-5, 6-4.
Sharapova beat Makarova in the quarter-finals last year on her way to the final, which she lost in straight sets to Victoria Azarenka.
Sharapova had to beat former world No. 1 Justine Henin in the quarter-finals when she won in 2008. Last year, she beat Makarova at the same stage en route to the final, but Makarova, ranked 19th, said she is better prepared this time.
“I really want to play against Maria,” Makarova said. “Now I’m pretty confident and I like my game.”
Li Na saved a set point in the tiebreaker, before beating Julia Goerges 7-6 (8/6), 6-1. She is next due to play fourth seed Agnieszka Radwanska, who beat 13th seed Ana Ivanovic 6-2, 6-4 for her 13th consecutive win. Radwanska won the Auckland and Sydney titles before traveling to Melbourne.
In men’s matches, fourth seed David Ferrer had a 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 win over 16th seed Kei Nishikori of Japan to reach the quarter-finals, where he meets Nicolas Almagro.
Nishikori had won two of his previous three matches with Ferrer and was a quarter-finalist in Australia last year, but struggled with 65 unforced errors in the 2 hour, 10 minute match.
Almagro advanced later yesterday, leading 6-2, 5-1 when eighth seed Janko Tipsaveric retired.
In the late match, top seed Novak Djokovic of Serbia was in a tight battle with Switzerland’s Stanislas Wawrinka, with the score standing at 1-6, 7-5, 6-4, 6-7 (5/7), 10-10 as at press time last night.
The winner plays fifth seed Tomas Berdych, who needed five match points in the tiebreaker before beating South Africa’s Kevin Anderson 6-3, 6-2, 7-6 (15/13) to reach the quarter-finals for the third straight year.
In the women’s doubles, Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and her partner, Peng Shuai of China, pushed their top-seeded Italian opponents to the brink, before succumbing in the third round.
Hsieh and Peng lost to Italy’s Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci 6-4, 0-6, 7-5 in 2 hours, 10 minutes, denying them a shot at a quarter-final showdown against the Williams sisters.
Additional reporting by staff writer, with CNA
A professional soccer team in South Korea apologized after “mannequins” used as substitute fans during a match on Sunday turned out to be sex dolls. K League 1 club Seoul said that the dolls, which had been dotted around stands off-limits to supporters due to the COVID-19 pandemic, had been ordered inadvertently after a “misunderstanding” with the supplier. Earlier this month, the K League became the first major soccer league to hold matches since the start of the pandemic, with the season’s opening game watched by a worldwide audience of fans, but Seoul’s attempt to bring a touch of realism to Sunday’s
It is known as the “May 19 Incident” and by some estimations it still haunts China’s national soccer team 35 years on. On May 19, 1985, China were stunned 2-1 at home by neighbors Hong Kong, then still under British rule, on one of the most infamous nights in Chinese soccer history. It is notorious not just because China’s hopes of qualifying for the FIFA World Cup for the first time ended in calamity. After the match, fans in Beijing rioted, smashing up vehicles, attacking buses, and threatening foreign journalists and diplomatic staff. It began an intense rivalry between the two teams which
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I