NHL owners and players continued talks aimed at saving a shortened season on Tuesday, with a contract agreement needed by the middle of this month in order to get games on the ice.
“The fact that we’re involved in a continuous process is something that I’m glad to see,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said as discussions ended for the day. “But we’re clearly not done yet.”
The two sides were expected to meet again yesterday as they weigh the latest proposals and counter-proposals for a new collective bargaining agreement.
On Monday, the NHL Players’ Association presented a response to the latest contract proposal from the league — which came on Thursday last week.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly declined to go into specifics on that offer, but the proposal was reported to include a six-year limit on player contracts — up from the five years the league had sought previously — along with movement toward the players on issues including year-to-year salary variance and contract buy-out regulations.
Bettman said the league moved toward the players again on Tuesday on some issues, but not all.
“In our response there were certain things that the players’ association asked for that we agreed to,” Bettman said. “There were some things that we moved in their direction and there were other things that we said ‘no,’ but that’s part of the process.”
That the two sides are at least talking is heartening for ice hockey fans, but time is short.
Team owners have already wiped out 625 games up to Jan. 14 and vow they will not stage a season with less than 48 games per team.
Bettman said on Monday that play would have to start by Jan. 19 if the league is to prevent the loss of the entire season to the lockout.
If play does not start by then, the league is faced with canceling the entire season for the second time, after a similar bitter dispute over finances scuppered all games in 2004 to 2005.
‘CRIMINAL ACT’: The UCI said it ‘strongly condemns’ Dylan Groenewegen’s ‘dangerous behavior,’ which left Jakobsen in critical condition and injured other cyclists Dutch cyclist Fabio Jakobsen was in a coma on Wednesday, in “serious” condition, after he was thrown into and over a barrier at 80kph in the conclusion to the opening stage of the Tour de Pologne. Footage showed 23-year-old Jakobsen, of the Deceuninck-Quick-Step, racing elbow-to-elbow with fellow Dutchman Dylan Groenewegen of Jumbo-Visma as both men frantically tussled in a tight sprint to the line in Katowice. However, Jakobsen came off worst, somersaulting over the barriers before colliding with a photographer after Groenewegen had veered suddenly to the right, squeezing his rival into the security wall. “His condition is very serious. His life is
Taiwan Steel on Sunday grabbed three points with a narrow 1-0 win against Hang Yuan FC, to move into the No. 2 spot on the Taiwan Football Premier League (TFPL) log, while Taipower FC beat NTUS 2-0 to maintain first place. Taking advantage early in the match of opposition defenders who had not yet settled down, Taiwan Steel’s attacking trio of Wu Chun-ching, Marc Fenelus from the Turks and Caicos Islands, and Benchy Astama from Haiti pushed forward with good passes. After only one minute of play, Fenelus dribbled from the right flank, feeding a short pass inside the penalty area to
STAYING COOL: Hamilton said that his ‘heart nearly stopped’ when he noticed the puncture, but he kept going to beat Alain Prost’s total of six home wins in France Lewis Hamilton said he feared he might not make it home when a last lap puncture almost derailed his charge to a record seventh British Grand Prix victory on Sunday. “I didn’t think I would make it round the last two corners,” the world champion said. The front left tire of his Mercedes had delaminated and deflated on his final lap, leaving the six-time world champion to nurse his vehicle to the finish as second-placed Max Verstappen hunted him down. “I just can’t believe it,” Hamilton said. “It was heart-stopping. I backed off and stayed chilled and was so glad it happened on
The Chicago Blackhawks and the Montreal Canadiens, with the fewest wins of any NHL playoff teams, ignited the rink returning from a COVID-19 hiatus with upset triumphs in Saturday openers. NHL Rookie of the Year candidate Dominik Kubalik inspired the Blackhawks to a 6-4 victory over the Edmonton Oilers in game one of their best-of-five qualifying series at Edmonton, Alberta, scoring two goals and assisting on three others. “We were ready to go, and I think the game was pretty good,” Kubalik said. “I felt pretty good and everything went my way, so it’s nice, but it’s just the first game,