Police said on Monday that they were working to track down the person responsible for throwing a coin at Manchester United’s Rio Ferdinand during Sunday’s Manchester derby.
Ferdinand was left with blood streaming down his face from a cut above his eye after being struck by a coin as he celebrated Robin van Persie’s injury-time winner in United’s 3-2 victory at Manchester City.
Greater Manchester Police said that they had made 13 arrests and charged nine people over offences that occurred before, during and after the match.
“To have just 13 arrests for a crowd of this size and a match of this proportion is a testament to the policing operation we put in place,” Chief Inspector Steve Howard said.
“Despite fierce rivalry and high tension, there was no major disorder. However, we will continue to investigate the coin-throwing incident and are determined to work with the club to bring the perpetrator to justice,” he added.
The Football Association (FA) are also investigating the incident.
Among the people charged were two men accused of entering the field of play during the game.
City goalkeeper Joe Hart had to restrain one fan from getting at Ferdinand after the coin-throwing incident, prompting the United defender to thank his one-time England colleague on Twitter.
The supporter, 21-year-old landscape gardener Matthew Stott, expressed regret for his behavior on Monday.
“I would like to apologize to all those affected by my actions yesterday [Sunday], particularly Mr Ferdinand and the other players,” he said in a statement released by his lawyers.
“I am extremely ashamed of my actions. I have let myself down, my family down, my fellow fans down and Manchester City Football Club,” he said.
Despite his apology, City canceled Stott’s season ticket for the rest of the season and said he would be given a lifetime ban from the club if found guilty of pitch encroachment.
“His season card has been immediately removed for the rest of the season and he has been charged to appear at court. If he is found guilty, he faces a lifetime ban,” a City spokesman said.
A 30-year-old man has also been charged with what police said was a “racially aggravated public order” offence.
All the people charged are due to appear before magistrates in Manchester on Jan. 4 next year.
FA chairman David Bernstein said the crowd trouble that marred the game was “deplorable” and called for strict punishments to be meted out to those responsible.
“It is deplorable to see those incidents and to see Rio Ferdinand with blood on his face is absolutely terrible,” he told Sky Sports News.
“I think it’s disturbing that we’re seeing a recurrence of these types of incidents. We’ve had racial abuse issues, the odd pitch incursion, things being thrown at players — it’s very unacceptable and has to be dealt with severely,” Bernstein added.
“I believe that if necessary these people need to go to the court and be banned for life, if they’re found out,” Bernstein added.
Meanwhile, Professional Footballers’ Association chief executive Gordon Taylor said there was a case to be made for erecting nets to protect players from missiles thrown by supporters.
“I think you’ve got to give consideration to possibly, as has been suggested, some netting in vulnerable areas, be it behind the goals and round the corner flags,” he told BBC Radio 5 Live.
United’s victory took them six points clear of defending champions City at the top of the Premier League table.
Indian police are investigating an alleged betting scandal in which a sham cricket tournament was held in an Indian village and passed off as a Twenty20 contest played in Sri Lanka. Players portrayed as Sri Lankan cricketers played two matches on Monday last week that were broadcast with live commentary on YouTube, media reports said, along with ball-by-ball coverage on top Indian sports Web sites. The organizers hung Sri Lankan advertisements at the ground for added authenticity and put up tents to block the view from outside the remote rural venue, set in farmland next to a busy highway. Police said that they
Taipower on Sunday charged to their third straight win and took over first place in the Taiwan Football Premier League as previous leaders Taichung Futuro suffered their first defeat of the season, while Hang Yuan rallied from two goals down to complete a thrilling 3-2 victory over National Taiwan University of Sport (NTUS). Heading into the 10th round of matches, unbeaten Taichung Futuro led the league with 21 points, but they fell to their first defeat of the season, a 1-0 loss to Tatung at the National Stadium in Kaohsiung. In a match in which both defenses were on top and there
Thailand international Pitsamai Sornsai, a new arrival for Inter Taoyuan, is to lead her team against Taipei Bravo tomorrow in the 10th round of the Taiwan Mulan Football League. Sornsai, who is nicknamed Pui, has attracted interest from media and fans as the first foreigner signed to play in Taiwan’s women’s league. Inter are among six teams battling for the title this year. The addition of Sornsai is a boost for the international profile of women’s soccer in Taiwan and elevates the competition. The 31-year-old brings a wealth of experience, including from the Asian Football Confederation’s Women’s Championship, the Southeast Asian Games and
HOTSHOT: Luis Suarez scored his 194th goal for Barca, tying him with Ladislao Kubala as the club’s third-highest scorer, behind Cesar Rodriguez and Lionel Messi With another decisive penalty from Sergio Ramos, Real Madrid on Sunday extended their perfect run after the COVID-19 suspension and moved closer to their first Spanish title in three years. Ramos scored his fifth goal since the season resumed as Madrid defeated Athletic Bilbao 1-0 to maintain a four-point lead over Barcelona, who beat fifth-placed Villarreal 4-1. Luis Suarez and Antoine Griezmann were among the scorers for Barcelona after assists from Lionel Messi. Ramos converted a 73rd-minute penalty to give Madrid their seventh straight victory and they remain the only team with a perfect record since La Liga resumed. “These three points are very