Spanish champion cyclist Alberto Contador said on Thursday he planned not to extend his exhausting career “too much” longer and insisted he needed lots of notice if he is to race in the next Tour de France.
Contador played down earlier comments that suggested he may not take part in next year’s Tour de France if his team Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank is not given ample notice of whether it has been accepted in the race.
“I am not thinking of extending my sporting career too much,” said Contador, who has three years left on his contract with the team, during a promotional appearance. “I give practically everything for cycling and it takes a lot of time in my life. I spend more than 200 days a year away from home. It’s really hard and wears you out a lot.”
Contador, a two-time Tour de France winner, won his second Vuelta a Espana crown in September, a month after returning from a two-year doping ban.
He lost his third Tour de France title and his Giro d’Italia title last year after being banned for testing positive for the banned substance clenbuterol during the 2010 Tour de France.
Contador said he had not been trying to put pressure on Tour organizers with his comments last week, saying he needed to have sufficient notice to prepare.
“Not at all. Everyone knows how it is when you’re preparing for a Grand Tour, especially the Tour de France. You have to be thinking about that race from the very start of the season,” he said.
If he does not make the next Tour, Contador said he would aim to compete in the Vuelta a Espana or the Giro d’Italia.
Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank are waiting to find out if they are to be included in the WorldTour next year after their omission from its provisional list of 15 teams released in October.
The Danish team failed to make the initial cut, which took into account each team’s top 12 riders for next season. They were unable to count Contador’s points due to his doping suspension.
‘CRIMINAL ACT’: The UCI said it ‘strongly condemns’ Dylan Groenewegen’s ‘dangerous behavior,’ which left Jakobsen in critical condition and injured other cyclists Dutch cyclist Fabio Jakobsen was in a coma on Wednesday, in “serious” condition, after he was thrown into and over a barrier at 80kph in the conclusion to the opening stage of the Tour de Pologne. Footage showed 23-year-old Jakobsen, of the Deceuninck-Quick-Step, racing elbow-to-elbow with fellow Dutchman Dylan Groenewegen of Jumbo-Visma as both men frantically tussled in a tight sprint to the line in Katowice. However, Jakobsen came off worst, somersaulting over the barriers before colliding with a photographer after Groenewegen had veered suddenly to the right, squeezing his rival into the security wall. “His condition is very serious. His life is
Growing concern over health standards in e-sports has prompted a new federation to pledge to address the problem, as players fall victim to conditions ranging from wrist injuries to obesity, stress and diabetes. The retirement of top Chinese player Jian Zihao, better known by his gaming handle “Uzi,” sent tremors through the booming sport, whose revenues are predicted to reach US$1.1 billion this year, according to industry analyst Newzoo. The 23-year-old, hailed as an “icon” of the League of Legends game, stepped away from e-sports in June, saying that “chronic stress, obesity, irregular diet, staying up late and other reasons” had given
‘COMPLICATED’: The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament ‘a decision I never wanted to take,’ but added that he would ‘rather not travel’ Defending champion Rafael Nadal has said that he would skip the US Open because of the COVID-19 pandemic, putting on hold his bid to equal Roger Federer’s men’s record for Grand Slam titles. On Tuesday, Nadal explained his decision in a series of tweets sent in Spanish and English. “The situation is very complicated worldwide. Coronavirus cases are increasing. It looks like we still don’t have control of it,” Nadal wrote. The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament scheduled to begin on Aug. 31 in New York “a decision I never wanted to take,” but added that he would “rather not
The Braves were dealt a double blow as the Mets’ Jacob deGrom struck out 10 in six innings to help New York snap a five-game skid with a 7-2 victory on Monday, and as Atlanta top pitcher Mike Soroka went down with a torn Achilles tendon in the third inning. “There’s no sugarcoating this night,” Atlanta slugger Freddie Freeman said. “It stinks. It really does.” Soroka crumpled to the ground on a seemingly routine play, breaking toward first to cover the bag on a grounder to Freeman’s right. “When you lose, in my mind, one of the top pitching arms in this entire